Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Haven't used shilene , but I have a 112 that I have a Pac nor and 2 factory barrels for. Where is rossville tn at. I live in Kingsport tn . You will need a barrel wrench , and maby a vise or action wrench. Most seem to prefer the action wrench over the vise. I only use a barrel wrench, it don't have to be GO ---- RILLER tight , only about 30 ft lbs. Headspace gauges are used by some , but I use a system of new full length sized brass to set mine. The only drawback in the method is factory rounds from the store will not fit .

Some others use a once fired and then sized case to set theirs up, after the space is set most will place a piece of paper between the bolt face and case head , the bolt should not close . I take the guts out of my bolt and set it where the bolt handle will drop about 3/4 with just it's weight . This gives a very slight crush fit on the brass. But mine is used to bench rest only so I don't worry about dirty brass issues. There are other manufacturers out there also . Lothar makes one Adams and Bennett through Midway , And there are others as well . There is also a site called Savage shooters dedicated to the Savage system. There is loads of info on there.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
you'll do well with a Shilen barrel, other good choices are pac-nor, krieger, hart, lilja. most of the good makers will set a barrel up for you.

·
Premium Member
15,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. Rossville, TN is about 15 miles east, southeast of Memphis in Fayette County. It's a really small town on a railroad track. The Wolf River is about a half mile away, just north of here. It's heavily wooded and quiet,............until a train comes through! LOL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts