close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Shockwave Technologies has an Idea!

Discussion in 'Class III' started by animalspooker, Feb 1, 2017.

1. animalspooker

animalspooker G&G Evangelist

SEMO
    From what I am reading, they are saying that a shotgun can have a barrel shorter than 18" so long as it meets 2 requirements. Overall length must be 26"+ and the shotgun had to have left the factory as a "Pistol Grip Only" (PGO) firearm. If any of you have time and knowledge, please look at this page and tell me what you think. Legal or Illegal?

http://shockwavetechnologies.com/site/?page_id=88

2. maddogg

maddogg G&G Evangelist

Depends on what state you live in.
    Wis regs.for illegal firearm
    (c) "Short-barreled shotgun" means a shotgun having one or more barrels having a length of less than 18 inches measured from closed breech or bolt face to muzzle or a shotgun having an overall length of less than 26 inches.

3. animalspooker

SEMO
    But as the article reads, if you buy it with a pistol grip, then its NOT a shotgun, its an AOW. Just sayin'

4. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

maddog, if you look up the definition of a shotgun it probably says (if your state's law mirrors federal law definitions) that a shotgun or a short barreled shotgun are designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder

Meaning that if it ever had a stock on it its always going to be a shotgun or an SBS...if it came from the factory designed not to ever have a shoulder stock it's not.

The shockwave never had shoulder stock on it ever from the factory and thus without that shoulder stock it's neither a shotgun or an SBS.

As long as the gun never had a stock on it ever, and with the pistol grip the overall length is 26" or greater it's not an AOW.

If you want the more traditional vertical pistol grip in the rear you can do that but then you need a longer 18" barrel to make the 26" rule. Mossberg also sells a pistol grip only shotgun from the factory with an 18.5" barrel and its the same non NFA firearm as a mossberg 500 with this longer raptor grip with a 14" barrel.

This here
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Moss...ase-Tactical-Pump-Action-Shotguns/1739979.uts

If it (either using the flatter raptor grip or the pistol rear grip) was below an overall length of 26" it would be an AOW.... Like a Serbu Super Shorty.

This is an AOW
    http://www.serbu.com/super-shorty-aow-shotgun-12-gauge.html

26" is the magical number for what the NFA laws consider "not easily concealable"

That's why for example a handgun/pistol (including an AR15 pistol) with a vertical fore-grip in the front is also an AOW... BUT an AR15 pistol with a 16" upper on it to make the overall length from end of buffer tube to end of barrel 26" or greater cannot be considered an AOW and you may put on a VFG on it without it being considered an AOW.

This thing here

Is also NOT an AOW or a short barreled shotgun...

it has no shoulder stock and never had one so it's not considered a shotgun or a short barreled shotgun... and a barrel and pistol brace (not a stock) long enough to make it over 26" so it's not an AOW. and it also does not meet the definition of a handgun/pistol... so It is just classified as a "Firearm" end of story and thus not something that can be regulated by the NFA.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
    animalspooker and TXplt like this.
  5. animalspooker

SEMO
    I will hopefully be making the cut on the Moss500 tonight so that I can put the rest of the Shockwave Technologies parts together and have a completed project. When I'm done, I'll try and get some pictures together.

6. Huh? What?

Huh? What? G&G Evangelist

What is the point of doing this?

870shooter1 likes this.
  7. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I'm guessing your mossy never had a stock on it though ever from the factory etc?

8. animalspooker

SEMO
    Never ever, ever! Well, I put one on it, and left it on for 2 minutes, just so I could say I duped the ATF.

Shhhhhhhhhhh...

austinjoe13 likes this.