Shooting Lefty

Discussion in 'General Rifle' started by Sober, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Sober

Sober G&G Newbie

Hi everbody,
    Im left handed but I shoot righty cause all the guns I have eject casings to the right side. I've only actually shot left handed once at that was with a Pistol. My question is can I shoot my Marlin 795 or my ruger 10/22 lefthanded without getting hit in the face with spent casings? Same goes for my 12 guage.

When it comes to aiming my right eye has a problem focusing like it jumps from the end of the gun to the target and back again Its like I cant do both at the same time you know kind of stare through the front sight at the target. My eye keeps focusing on the tip of the sight or just the target makes it hard to line up a shot. Now holding lefty is way more comfortable and My left eye has no problem staring through the sight at the target. Actually its much easier to aim, its steadier,and when holdin any rifle/shotty it just feels more solid. In other words it just feel right. Any Ideas on how to shoot righty easier or if I should give lefty a shot(literaly)and how not to get hit with spents shells or casings, in other words any feedback would be appreciated.

2. Tha Dave

Tha Dave G&G Evangelist

I've been shooting lefty for years and never had a problem getting hit in the face, now my right arm has a few shell burns but those are mostly from rapid firing my .22

3. grizcty

grizcty God, Guns, Glory Forum Contributor

^^ Agreed ^^
    Watch out for the .22 casings, down the sleeve of you shirt.

4. jashoffa

jashoffa G&G Newbie

First thing any shooter needs to know is which is his dominate eye. In my case I am right handed but left eye dominate. So what I do, and would I advocate others that are cross eye dominate like me, is I shoot rifles and shotguns left handed so that I can aim with my dominate eye. This alowes the best options for sighting your target. Now I have been doing this since I was very young so I am pretty much used to it and it feels odd if I attempt to shot long guns right handed. I shoot hand guns right handed and don't seem to have any problems with that. My advise would be to determine your dominate eye, ussally the same as your hand, but not allways, and shoot long guns with that hand.

Shotguns of all kinds, AR-15"s, 10-22's and others have never given me a problem with ejecting shells.

5. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Evangelist

I am left handed and I don't own a single left handed weapon. I can't remember the last time I was hit by brass from my 10/22. You shouldn't have any problems shooting lefty at all.

6. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    the only righthanded guns you cant shoot are bullpups. none of the rest of them will hit you with spent casings.

7. grizcty

grizcty God, Guns, Glory Forum Contributor

Come on now Lefty.
    You know you thought this thread, was about you! :Thinkingof_:

8. Farmer

Farmer G&G Regular

Ive never had a problem either, and im right eye dominant but use my left eye, its all just practice.

9. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

I shoot leftie as well. The only issue I run up against is that sometimes when shooting right handed semi auto rifles or shotguns I get some powder back in my face. No hot brass or hulls have ever hit me in the face of gone down my shirt sleeve. I have had a 45acp brass go down the back of my collar that caused quite a war dance, but that is just part of shooting that 45 of mine!

10. BigCaneSwift

BigCaneSwift G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Right handed Left eye dominant as well been shooting lefty since I was a kid just feels right!

11. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

That title scared me.I thought you had shot lefty!I like reading his posts.Please don't shoot him.(except maybe rock salt in the butt) ,,,sam.

12. moosemike

moosemike G&G Newbie

I've been shooting right handed guns left handed all my life with no problems. Even flintlock which everybody who hasn't tried it says you can't do.

13. Sober

Sober G&G Newbie

Ok cool guys thanks for all the input. Ya im pretty sure Im left eye dominate cause like I stated above my right eye just has trouble focusing and it just not nearly as easy to aim. Ima try shooting lefthanded now cause I really dont like shootin long guns right handed it not uncomfortable or anything its just doesn't feel as right as holdin it the other way. Wow to think the only reason I wasn't shooting lefty is cause I thought the brass would hit me in the face , I could care less about the occasional burn on the arm Ima go out and give it a whirl. Thanks again everybody!

14. Dragunov

Dragunov G&G Evangelist

Yes, I'm also left handed and own a 795. Not a problem. As a matter of fact, I've never had a problem shooting anything left handed. Never been brassed in the face or anything like that. Just don't go firing a bullpup left handed unless the weapon is left handed.

15. Browning

Browning G&G Newbie

Welcom to thinking with the right side of your brain. And shoot lefty all u wont just wear eye protection, just in case. I've never been hit with any, but u never know.

16. Sav .250

Sav .250 G&G Evangelist

Like some, I`m also a life long lefty....... who has been shooting righty for as long as I can remember. I might add, I`ve never looked back.

17. jtuck

jtuck G&G Evangelist

I'll be one more left handed shooter to affirm you won't get showered by hot brass. The only issue I ever have is when we have to qual from arms length away. Tucking the gun in close and sideways like we have to used to cause hot brass to bounce off my chin and down my vest until I finally came up with an alternative hold.

18. Pumpkinheaver

Pumpkinheaver G&G Evangelist

I'm a lefty and have been shooting right hand rifles/pistols all my life. Never had a gun throw brass in my face yet.