Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
me and some friends found this range that had a really nice trap and skeet range, so today we went, i brought my mossberg 500, i havent really done much of trap shooting, shot 21/25 first round then 20/25 second round, anyone got any pointers so I bust all my clays? :) thx

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
I'd say that's pretty good for not doing it regularly. For myself, when I try to hard, I miss. I have to relax. If I'm trying to show off, forget it.

You might experiment with different chokes, and practice!

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
im a competetive trap shooter, your scores arent too bad. main thing is to keep your eye on the bird. its a game of 1 bird at a time, dont worry about running 25.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
Lefty gave good advice.The faster you can get on the bird the more shot you have in a cluster.Make sure your barrel is below the trap house so you can see the bird as soon as it clears the trap.And as Lefty states,consentrate on one bird at a time.Dont be consentrating on the lead and sight picture.The bird is the only thing that should be on your mind. samuel.

·
Registered
72 Posts
i shot trap competitively last year and might this year not to sure yet, main things are keep a consistant form focus on one bird at a time and never take your eye off that bird until it breaks and follow through on every shot after it breaks just pretend you have a second shot and shoot the pieces, keep your face on the gun don't look up to see if you got it as i have lost many 25s/50s to that, and most important PRACTICE!!

·
Registered
491 Posts
If you want to be really competative, most ranges can hook you up with an instructor. There are many little things they can teach you that you would'nt normally think about. About the same as golfing. Short of that all I can say is practice practice practice. by the way you might be able to become competitive with the first round scores you had. My first time out I hit 56 out of 100.

·
I can justify anything.
4,879 Posts
and most important PRACTICE!!
:werd:

Pattern your gun to get an idea of where the shot's going, and practice, practice, practice!!
Trap's a fun game, and it'll help your pass shooting in real world hunting.

Remember that pretty much any gun will work fine trap shooting, but a slightly heavier gun will help manage recoil a bit better. If recoil's bothering you, get a trap vest with a shoulder pad. They're handy for full/empty shell handling, too.. Wally World often has them for less than $20.

My rifle club has trap shooting every Monday night, for $2 a round. I bring along 4 boxes of shells, and a $10 bill lets me shoot them and have money left over for a soda or 4.

I tend to shoot trap with my Mossberg 185K bolt action 20 gauge. It fits me well and I really enjoy beating guys with $2000-$3000 trap guns with my $75 Mossy.. :scool: The reason I tell you this is just so you remember, it's the Indian, not the bow.. Learn to shoot what you have, relax, and have fun. Remember that it's a game, and treat it as such.. If you're having fun, others around you will have fun, too.:dance:

·
Registered
935 Posts
All good advice. These guys know what they're talking about. I too am a competitive trap shooter. Not winner, just shooter.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Shooting trap is challenging. Good work on breaking 50. I prefer shooting sporting clays, because of the varying level of difficulty. Any of the G&G members from Minnesota should try the Horse&Hunt club, its a very humbling experience.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts