Shooting while pregnant

Discussion in 'Women Shooters' started by Jay, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Jay

Jay Old man, No tact... Staff Member

I recently had a pregnant (first trimester) lady inquire about firearms classes. I told her that I'd teach her upon receipt of a statement from her Dr. stating it was safe for her and the fetus, for her to handle/shoot firearms. Her Dr. said no, and she said she would see if she could get a different Dr. to "ok" the training. I haven't heard back from her, so I guess she either found another instructor, or another Dr. I'm not going to risk injury to an unborn child, without medical consent. I didn't find anything 100% on either side of the issue, but I did find this......

Dangerous Decibels: About Hearing Loss

• A typical conversation occurs at 60 dB - not loud enough to cause damage.
    • A bulldozer that is idling (note that this is idling, not actively bulldozing) is loud enough at 85 dB that it can cause permanent damage after only 1 work day (8 hours).
    • When listening to music on earphones at a standard volume level 5, the sound generated reaches a level of 100 dB, loud enough to cause permanent damage after just 15 minutes per day!
    • A clap of thunder from a nearby storm (120 dB) or a gunshot (140-190 dB, depending on weapon), can both cause immediate damage.
    then this........

http://www.theppsc.org/Staff_Views/C...nt_officer.htm

Noise usually is considered to be detrimental during pregnancy. In most European countries, health regulations forbid pregnant women from working in surroundings with a continuous noise level greater than 80 dB or a rapid-impulse noise level greater than 40 dB, which is much less than the noise of a firearm [6]. In the United States, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration permissible exposure limit for rapid-impulse noise is 140 dB, with additional regulations for continuous noise. The sound levels of firearms are about 125 to 140 dB for rimfire rifles; 140 to 150 dB for rimfire pistols; and 150 to 160 dB for centerfire rifles, pistols, and shotguns [7].

Intrauterine measurements showed that the fetus was not significantly protected against loud noises [8]. One study in human volunteers found a maximal intrauterine noise attenuation of 10 dB at 4000 Hz [9]. In a study of ewes, the noise attenuation was 20 dB at 4000 Hz, but the noise inside the uterus was 2 to 5 dB greater at 250 Hz [10]. In comparison, foam plugs offer attenuation of 12 to 20 dB and are considered to be the least effective hearing protection [7].

Noise exposure during pregnancy has been associated with several disorders, including miscarriage [11,12], intrauterine growth retardation [13,14,16], preterm delivery [12,15,16], hearing loss in babies and children [17], altered immune response in the fetus [18], and hypertension [12]. A combined exposure to noise and lead seems to have an increased toxicity, causing heart lesions, which are not observed for those agents alone [19].

For information only.....

2. gun monkey

gun monkey G&G Newbie

As long as she doesn't get shot she will not hurt the baby. Her Dr. is an idiot, I know women that shot guns, road dirt bikes, and basically never changed thier life style other than eat healthier when they were pregnant. The female body, and unborn fetus are MUCH tougher than people give it credit for. The bang of a firearm will not hurt her or the baby, just don't let her eat the lead.

3. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

you are wrong.
    that doctor is not the only one that has said again and again they dont recommend it.
    why risk it?
    unless you are a complete idiot redneck you wouldnt.

4. Jay

Jay Old man, No tact... Staff Member

I'm quite certain that the women you know that have shot guns, and rode dirt bikes, have given you ample data to base your judgement upon..... and with the medical/forensic degree that you surely must possess, to call other medical doctors idiots, I'll reverse my decision to not teach pregnant folks to shoot firearms..... yeah right..... don't bank on it....

I ended my post with "for information only" ..... I'm not a doctor, but the sources listed are. You don't have to agree, but don't get yer feelings hurt if I think that you have much less mental acuity to base your opinions on than the folks who wrote the original articles..... articles by the way that are factually based, as opposed to "folks you know". Uhhh, just how tough are the developing ears of a fetus... how many db of noise can they tolerate, undamaged?.. but then you probably don't wear hearing protection either, huh?

Sometimes it's better to keep yer mouth shut and just let folks think you're stupid, than to speak/type and remove all doubt.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  5. grizcty

grizcty God, Guns, Glory Forum Contributor

Jay,

I think you did the right, and also a wonderful thing.
    This lady, will more the likely.
    Thank you some day.

My DIL, is fixing to have another child.
    And also needs, to do her yearly firearm "qualifications".
    I told her to put it off, until after the baby is born.
    Her Dr. said the same thing.

Hey billy,
    Give us rednecks, just a bit more credit! :thinking:

6. billy

present redneck company excluded...:wavey:

7. pullnshoot25

pullnshoot25 G&G Newbie

Do not shoot while pregnant. Water is 4x more conductive than air when it comes to sounds and the amniotic fluid is just that, water. Not a good idea. Do not screw with the sense of hearing, it really is the hardest sense to lose or live without.

8. CalifgirlinOk

CalifgirlinOk G&G Evangelist

I wouldn't go shooting while pregnant. You don't know what the hell your putting your unborn child through. So why take a chance on hurting them.
    Jay you did the right thing by asking for her doctors permission.

9. Darkfront

Darkfront G&G Evangelist

I believe the best of both worlds (and other worlds as well) is to get suppressors and shoot subsonic loads!

But yes, in general, I would agree that shooting during pregnancy is not the best choice.

10. Define Redneck. I believe there is a diffrence in Rednecks and Whitetrash.

If growing up spending lots of times out fishing, hunting, shooting guns, four wheeling, snowmachining (snowmobile to you wierdos in the lower 48 :p jk lol , not all of you are wierd :D lol ) and just enjoying being out in the outdoors is redneck....... Im guilty as charged, how ever I wouldnt have my wife go out and shoot my guns while she is pregnant.

11. billy

An uneducated, unsophisticated, or poor white person, typically used to describe residents (of either gender) of the rural US

whitetrash
    •White trash is an American English pejorative term referring to poor whites in the South, suggesting lower social class and degraded living standards.

12. JetGirl

JetGirl G&G Evangelist

If there's even an iota of a chance to do irreversible damage...why risk it ??
    It's nine short months out of your life vs YEARS of theirs.

13. pullnshoot25

pullnshoot25 G&G Newbie

I forgot to mention that fetal hearing ability is very sensitive. Seriously.

14. Ninja Piper

Ninja Piper G&G Evangelist

You made a good choice in making her bring a doctor's recommendation. I wouldn't want to risk any injury to the baby simply because mom wants to shoot. There are people who really need protection from themselves.

15. Better safe than sorry. I personally think it'd be fine, but why risk it?

16. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Well,in that case if I had my way there wouldn't be very many women shooting. ,,,sam.

17. And why is that,,,, Sam?

1911sr

18. Hooo, Doggies!:smokin: A potential chauvenist comment? I think you're about to meet my sister up close and personal! [​IMG]

Latigo

19. Love2hunt

Love2hunt G&G Newbie

Absolutely agree with you there. I am currently pregnant with my second child and there is no way I would consider it because there is no way to know for sure that it is not harmful. The only gun I have fired in the last four months was our new Red Ryder BB gun!

20. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Ya got it all wrong!I mean try to keep the girls,,,,,,,,,,ya get what I mean.