close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Shooting with a fixed bayonet

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by DaveTinNY, Jun 4, 2002.

1. DaveTinNY

DaveTinNY G&G Newbie

I'm wondering if any of you has ever gone to the range with your M1 and shot with a fixed bayonet, either the 10" M1 or the 16" M1905. I'd be curious to see the looks on some of the other shooters faces when you pull the bayonet out and fix it to the Garand. What the?!
    lol
    Dave T

2. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

i haven't but just imagine this: show up at the range also with the old steel pot, web belt and canteen, and cartridge belt, then when your last rounds gone and the rifle pings empty, do a bayonet charge down range and deliver a thrust into the target!!!! that will drop their jaws!!!:rolleyes: :eek: :D

3. Better yet, smear mud all over your face, put on a ghillie suit, and as you are charging the target, sream out loud, "Death from above-- Airborne all the way!!!"

When people at the the range ask what your doing, your reply should be "It's an airborne thing, a leg like you wouldn't understand!"

Then get in your vehicle and leave with everything on.

4. DocCombat

DocCombat G&G Newbie

FBNC
    Every year at a range in Newington, CT. There is the Frost Bite match in December,a military style match where showing up in a militairy uniform is appreciated. You shoot in the 3 positions standing , kneeling and prone. And after your last iteration (and the lane and weapons are cleared) there is the Bayonet charge to your target. Winner gets ten points added to total score. And adds abit of fun to the match. especially when the range is ice and snow covered. And durind all the years this match has been going on the only injuries have been some brusing to peoples asses after falls and ego's.
    I have fired with the bayonet on and it does help eliminate some of the muzzle climb when firing the garand off hand , but the extra weight makes shooting off hand tiring after a short time.

5. DaveTinNY

DaveTinNY G&G Newbie

Doc C., that Frost Bite match sounds like a blast... Showing up in uniform - would that be something like showing up in reenactor gear?
    Dave T

6. DocCombat

DocCombat G&G Newbie

FBNC
    Sure, some of the guys are former military others arent and you can wear whatever you wish, not all wear O.D. or cammo some wear their civilian clothes but it's still a good time nomatter what you wear.
    There is quite the range of weapons, From 03,s to enfeilds and garands to AR-15,s. Havent been able to attend the past coulpe of years due to training and deployments but will try again this year.