Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I'm looking to buy a 9130 or maybe 38 or 44. When I'm looking at a show or otherwise, besides being researched and matching serial #'s

What's the best way to inspect the barrel ? A small flashlight ?

Are most of these usually decent barrels ?

9130's always seem to be around $80 when I've looked before. Is this a good price for okay condition, or is less possible ?

Can you shoot reg 7.62x51 NAto rounds through it ?

Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Don't Know about the nato rounds my local gun shop has fmj 7.62x54 milsurp thats all i shoot out this rifle alsothe prics mine was 80 bucks and in very good shapeno marks or mars in rifling at all and the milsurp rounds at my local gun shop are cheap @ 20.00 per 100 rounds

·
Premium Member
30,668 Posts
warning! barrel condition is all over the map bring a pullthru and a small flashlight or better a little bore light .check out the muzzle. is it worn? no you cannot fire .308 aka 7.62x51 in a mosin nagant . they use 7.62x54r ammo that you can buy cheaply online . treat all that ammo as corrosive ! you can look up how to clean for corrosive ammo. its easy so dont be afraid of it . you will love the BOOM that comes out of these guns!these things are fun to shoot and cheap! have fun pal!:scool:

PS $80 is an ok price.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
When I go to buy a mosin I genrally bring a 7.62 bullet and gently stick in the tip if the barrell to see if the rifling has been worn down in the muzzle or not.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Bore lights are around $4 and available at most gun shows. Well worth the investment. I sometimes take a lighted magnifying glass. If no bore light, remove the bolt and look down the pipe while pointing at a light source. You can pay up to $150 for a great condition 91/30, laminated, all matching numbers. Less than $100, for certain will get you a very good condition rifle. Around $80 will get you one, too, depending upon the dealer. At that price, expect it to be packed in cosmoline. For the extra $20 or more, it may be worth the price to get one that is clean of grease. Just my opinion on that one. I have paid extra just for the elimination of the headache and effort.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts