Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just recently bought a yugo sks on guns america for $140
and it came with a dragonov stock ,weaver scope mount , red dot sight , sling , and one 30 round magazine - sounds like a good deal and it is

but in the ad the seller said there was problems feeding and i was wondering if its not the junky 30 round magazine if it might not be getting enough back pressure to the piston because the barrel has been shortened

and if u think making the hole from the barrel to the piston larger would solve this problem
or n e other ideas or information

thank you very much
hope 2 hear from u soon

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
I'm no expert, but it sounds like they messed up that rifle good by cutting some of the barrel off. IF I were an expert, I would prob have to shorten the gas tube and moving where the gas comes into the tube back with it.

That's just me though:feedback:

·
Registered
147 Posts
There was problems with many of the gas valves on Yugo SKSs. They were different because of the launcher. It looks to me like that is how the barrel got shorter the launcher was removed. Sorry I can't remember the problem with the gas valve. I had one yugo SKS and didn't like it and sold it.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
It is likely that it is indeed not getting enough gas to push the piston. You can improve this one or both of two ways.
1.) Open up the gas port EVER SO GRADUALLY, ie on very small increments.
2.) Shorten the secondary piston spring and/or action spring.

The advantage of #2 is that if you shorten them too far you can replace them. Not so easy with a barrel. If you shorten only the secondary piston spring, it won't affect how fast the bolt and carrier go forward after hitting the receiver.

No matter what you do to speed the cycling, install a recoil buffer. You're changing a system that was engineered without you knowing everything they knew. Proceed with caution and cover your bases. Sacrificing a few recoil buffers will be far better than damaging your rifle to the point of breaking the bolt, carrier, or receiver. Use the softest ones possible.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts