1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
If there is ever a reason to have a round chambered it is when you go past those signs in Wyoming that caution that it is a bear area. At the end of every trailhead you see them, they are there for a purpose.

Every person going in should be armed with both a heavy handgun and bears spray always. Also, there is zero reason why people cannot take turns working and watching while field dressing an animal.

When I walk out of such areas in the dark I have always walked with a 44 in one hand and a light in the other and I talk as I walk. Just my way.

·
Banned
37,468 Posts
Can't access the story. Keep getting dumped into other crap.

·
Premium Member
26,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can't access the story. Keep getting dumped into other crap.
Hmm, I don't know why that would be.
Here's the text though copied and pasted from the link up above.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
"An ongoing investigation into a grizzly bear attack on some hunters that left a man dead has produced a preliminary recommendation that the outfitter company review their training.

The Wyoming Occupational Safety and Health Administration, in conjunction with state conservation officials and the Teton County Sheriff’s office, has been examining the case of the bear attack on bowhunter Corey Chubon and hunting guide Mark Uptain, 37, that left the latter dead in September.

Although both had bear spray and Uptain had a 10mm Glock in a shoulder holster, WyoFile reported that the gun, determined by investigators to be in working condition, did not have a round in the chamber and the guide had taken the pistol off while he helped Chubon dress an elk the sportsman had harvested.

The bear, who conservation officers believe was attracted to the scent of the felled elk, attacked Uptain first and Chubon, who went for the handgun, could not get a shot off.

“There was not a round in the chamber, so the gun was empty. He couldn’t make the gun work,” said Wyoming Game and Fish Regional Wildlife Supervisor Brad Hovinga, who went on to explain that the magazine was dropped from the gun at some point it was found in a different location from the Glock.

A spent bear spray canister was found five feet from Uptain’s remains by investigators with Hovinga saying they “believe the fatal injuries occurred prior to him deploying” the spray.

The OSHA alert on Uptain’s death urges Martin Outfitters, the company he worked for, to “evaluate its operating procedures for bear country.”

“Carry a defense readily accessible,” said a warning from the agency on hunting in areas where bears may be present. “The knowledge of how to use your defense should be automatic.”

The Yellowstone-area grizzly, banned from hunting under the Endangered Species Act after their population fell to as low as 136 animals in 1975, has now rebounded to well over 600, a fact that led federal officials to delist the animals from the act’s protections last year. With that, Wyoming and Idaho proceeded to allow limited hunting of the bears from the greater Yellowstone ecosystem outside of the park, set to begin Sept. 1, but has been blocked by a federal lawsuit from animal rights advocates. The bears have been the subject of dozens of high-profile encounters with humans as their population swelled, including at least four deaths since 2011.

Conservation officers were able to trap one of the bears, a yearling grizzly, and were charged by an adult grizzly sow in the vicinity of the attack site, which they were forced to kill. It was later determined that both bears were believed involved in the attack on Chubon and Uptain, and the yearling was subsequently euthanized by authorities.

A GoFundMe page for Uptain, to benefit his wife Sarah and his five children, had raised $208,000 as of Monday.

The investigations into the incident are ongoing."

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Reactions: neophyte and ChaZam

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
The level of ignorance about what a bear can do, a coyote, hogs,o r a pair of pit bulls is appalling. And for those raised on farms and ranches, getting knocked to the ground by a bull, cow or horse, is just part of the drill. I call it the metro-sexual effect, people who live in apartments and high rise buildings and are far detached from the natural world. If you doubt this then read below, from the same article I linked above.

Since May 2010, grizzlies have killed eight people in Wyoming and Montana, with seven of the eight in Greater Yellowstone.

Four of the eight were men hiking alone, with no means of self-defense, be it a weapon or bear spray. Of those four, two (Wallace 2011 fatality; Stewart 2014 fatality) of the incidents were associated with big game carcasses, and one involved a bear recovering from a research capture and chemical immobilization. A fifth victim was hiking with his wife, but neither had a means of self-defense, and the pair attempted to run from a female grizzly when it moved in their direction. A sixth victim was killed while mountain biking, after colliding with a large male grizzly on a narrow trail south of Glacier National Park.

The common denominator is they were all not armed.

·
Premium Member
13,640 Posts

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
I never could understand not having a round chambered in a carry gun. a lot of the malfunctions I have had were when chambering that first round. chambering a round under stress is a recipe for disaster. as fast & stealthy as a bear can be, you need to be ready for anything when in their territory. especially when you baited them in with a fresh kill!

·
Registered
7,998 Posts
Just 'Bear' in mind, traveling in bear country by yourself or with a friend you are at risk of a bear encounter.
It seems groups 3 people or less are On Menu Items at the fuzzy snack bar.

Kinda like three little school girls in a back alley in the bad end of town late at night, they are less at risk than a single gun toteing hunter with a Pack full of deer meat in bear country.
You smell like a 3 course meal waltzing thru just begging to be messed with
Slope Rectangle Plot Font Parallel

Size of groups of people involved in human-bear conflicts in Alaska, USA (n ¼ 638), 1880-2015.

·
Banned
37,468 Posts

·
Registered
7,998 Posts
In places where endangered animals are protected they can develope rather agressive stance on food.
Jim Low, a retired Alaskan game warden, says, “A gunshot on Kodiak Island attracts bears. Many deer hunters have killed deer on Kodiak Island only to have a Kodiak brown bear show up and want to dine on venison.”
Joe Hosmer, former Pres. of the SCI Foundation, agrees. Joe says: “I have seen this black tail hunting on Kodiak Island. When a deer is shot the bears come running! The hunter needs to give up the deer and move on,” unless you also have a bear license.
A third confirmation of bears attacking hunters on Kodiak Island came from Alaska Wildlife Troopers Sergeant Shane Nicholson:
“I grew up in Kodiak and have spent many years hunting all over the island. On more than one occasion, I have personally witnessed bear's coming to the sound of gunshots. In one instance, I observed a bear come from approximately 1/2 mile away and arrive at my location, just as I was finishing loading deer meat into my pack. It sat approximately 100 yards away until I departed the area and then moved in to the gut pile. My dad has had similar experiences throughout the years. In talking with numerous hunters around Kodiak, many have experienced the same thing.” When Hunting's Gunfire Becomes a Dinner Bell | Outdoor Wire

the flip side to a bow hunter quietly taking a elk the other sense to deal with is bears sense of smell.
they can travel very long distances drawn by a smell.
in one case Polar Bears at Barter Island were hanging around a well picked over whale bone pile when a whale carcass washed up 20 miles away, the smell of that dead whale drew most the 14 bears off overnight.

·
Premium Member
26,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In places where endangered animals are protected they can develope rather agressive stance on food.
Jim Low, a retired Alaskan game warden, says, “A gunshot on Kodiak Island attracts bears. Many deer hunters have killed deer on Kodiak Island only to have a Kodiak brown bear show up and want to dine on venison.”
Joe Hosmer, former Pres. of the SCI Foundation, agrees. Joe says: “I have seen this black tail hunting on Kodiak Island. When a deer is shot the bears come running! The hunter needs to give up the deer and move on,” unless you also have a bear license.
A third confirmation of bears attacking hunters on Kodiak Island came from Alaska Wildlife Troopers Sergeant Shane Nicholson:
“I grew up in Kodiak and have spent many years hunting all over the island. On more than one occasion, I have personally witnessed bear's coming to the sound of gunshots. In one instance, I observed a bear come from approximately 1/2 mile away and arrive at my location, just as I was finishing loading deer meat into my pack. It sat approximately 100 yards away until I departed the area and then moved in to the gut pile. My dad has had similar experiences throughout the years. In talking with numerous hunters around Kodiak, many have experienced the same thing.” When Hunting's Gunfire Becomes a Dinner Bell | Outdoor Wire

the flip side to a bow hunter quietly taking a elk the other sense to deal with is bears sense of smell.
they can travel very long distances drawn by a smell.
in one case Polar Bears at Barter Island were hanging around a well picked over whale bone pile when a whale carcass washed up 20 miles away, the smell of that dead whale drew most the 14 bears off overnight.
^^ Lot's of good points and common sense in that article...

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
I'd say someone needs to just get a revolver if they feel like that.
But, those are the types that would probably have an empty chamber under the hammer even with a modern Double Action with a transfer bar.🙄

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I actually know a guide in SW Colorado who had an experience with a bear that could have ended poorly because he only had 5 rounds in the gun. The story goes, he was guiding an elk archery hunter on a pack trip. The hunter carried a 44 mag model 29 Smith and Wesson and also a bear tag, which he had hope to take with his bow, but legal anyway. They were done hunting for the day and putting up their tent for the night, the sun was already down. Putting up the tent on a game trail and along comes a very large black bear just loping toward them, probably had even seen them. The hunter motioned to the guide, who just said, shoot him with your pistol. Good plan, the bear is
getting close and the hunter shoots him and he slows, the guide says shoot him again, the bear keeps coming and 6 rounds are fired . The guide carried an old Ruger, no transfer bar, so only 5 rounds in the gun. The guide cuts loose and gets off all 5 rounds as they scurry out of the bears way. The bear turns and runs into nearby dense brush. The sun is gone an the bear is thrashing around.

They reload and knowing there will be no sleep until the bear issue is resolved. So, they reload and the guide tells the hunter to stay close as they go into the dense brush, now dark. No thanks says the guide, and gave his 44 to the guide who then with the hunters gun and flashlight went and found the bear after a slow and intense search in thick brush, the bear was dead. when found.

The result was the guide hit the bear all five times with his 357, but the guide only hit the bear 2 of the 6 shots. Moral of the story>? Carry 6 rounds in a 6 round gun. Would it have mattered in that case? It was the guides 5th and last round that turned the bear, what if he had missed with that one.?

Now, the funny part of the story, is the hunter who missed the bear 4 times and refused to go help the guide find his bear, told a different story. The story was that the hunter saved the guide from certain death. The bear had attacked as they were putting up their tents and the guide fired and missed or did not otherwsie stop the bear with five rounds of 357. The hunter pulled out his 44 mag and saved them both putting 2 perfectly placed hits on the bear. The guide told me that one of the 44 rounds hit the bear in the gut, the second in a hip. When you are a guide in Colorado and word gets out that a hunter saved you from a bear attack, it does not help your reputation. The guide was pissed.

Reactions: Huey Rider

·
Registered
7,998 Posts
I heard of AK govt bird biologists over on YK Delta were set upon by a young brown bear.
Two police configuration 870 slug guns.
6 rounds per mag, the group open up emptying both 12 gauges, 12 shots fired, bear killed.
Afterwards they started counting bullet holes, 12 shots, 8 hits, of the 8 ony 3 made it to a vitals area that would kill what they later learned was a starving bear.
They were using sabot type slugs.
They found that those hourglass shaped slugs were easily sent veering off their intended path by just about anything like muscle, hide and bone.
Found routes of the 5 rounds that struck, 3 should have been leathal hits except they slew off course.

Proper bullet selection helps.
One the aircraft mechanics just back from August moose hunt related watching with binoculars4 a nice size moose in a tundra lake not far from his location, while watching the moose, a large brown bear starts in after the moose, the moose went to deep end the lake with the bear swimming after it, moose leaves lake on run and plows through a thick belt of willows along the river, bear hot on its tail, where the willows slowed the moose down, the bear increased speed in the willows (guy said faster than you could run on dry pavement) bear sliced through willows like it was nothing, hopped on the moose and they went down in a pile in the willows, bear killed that draft horse size moose with ease.
Id seen bears feeding on washed up carcasses on beach during a cargo flight, one was pretty dark like almost blackbear in color, swung back around for a better look at that black, when the bears took off from their chuckchi sea beach buffet exiting up a ravine in the bluffs, we watched two bears accelerate up a 34° slope for over a mile.
In a mile up hill and gradually going faster?😲😲
The power of the bear is not to be scoffed at.
My spring time experence with agressive younger brown bear.
Boating up river just after iceout headed to cabin, notice heavy smell of rotting meat in breeze, (that area is a long kidney shaped lake set back off the river with most likely a winterkill moose) the sound of 23' motor boat with two men brought what looked like a 3-4 yearold brown bear to the cutbank river, displaying a very agressive disposition, from where the bear appeared to where we lost it due change of shore into broken ground and deep water.
That bear followed along the river bank for over 4 miles!😨
It kept pace with our boat, which was according to gps going 22mph.
That was a very good day to have been in a boat 30 yards out in a deep river.
Would have been a really terrible day to have been walking on that stinky side the river.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts