close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Short Wave RECIEVERS????????

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Doglips, Aug 16, 2002.

1. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

I was killing some time at a local radio shack today and noticed that they sell (or stock anyway) a lot of short wave radio recievers. Is there any thing intresting on the Short wave radios? I always thought it was just HAMS chating with each other. Whats out there? Worth spending the $40 bucks to get one?:confused:

2. HAM

I HAVE A SON WHO IS A HAM. IT ALMOST AS ADDITIVE AS GUN COLLECTING. BUT NOT QUITE.

DANA

3. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

theres various foriegn broadcasts in english, very interesting to listen to some one elses view of the world. back in the 60's one night i was listening to Radio Moscow's english news cast. this was in the commie days. the newsreader was going on and on about the Americans people protesting the war. it sounded like a real donny-brook going on, and in the middle of all this they stopped and reported the USA landed a man on the moon!!!! than it was back to the propaganda@@@. so get one and enjoy!!!

4. Armorer

Armorer Guest

Sw and HAM are to different bands. There are Hammers that do SW also.

5. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Used to listen to the BBC on one, pretty cool!

6. wes

wes G&G Newbie

You get a different "take" on the news,some things you won't hear on our "free press",and how other countries view the U.S.

7. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

Don't know if two way hand-held radio's qualify in this conversation.

I recently bought two which have a five mile maximum range and cost about $30 each. I used them recently when convoying down the express with another car. They worked great. The range was limited by the amount of hills since they work on a "line of sight" principle.

Since then I occasionally use one in my home to be monitored when I travel just a few miles from home.

It's just as good as the cell phone in my opinion and doesn't eat up any air time.

The brand I'm using is "Bellsouth" and it has 15 channels. Bought it at a local discount store.
    Oxford

:nod:

8. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

I have been talking on my mobile C.B. radio in my truck alot at work, and have found some good deals on all kinds of stuff. Someones always selling something out there! Thinking about getting back into a C.B. base station. Had one years ago with a 12 tube Phantom kicker on it. Used to talk to people in Nova Scotia, Colorado, Japan etc. if the conditions were right. Legal C.B.'s are supposed to put out 4 watts max on transmit. My station was tweaked to 20 watts and when the Phantom was turned on it went to 700 watts! Almost got caught by the F.C.C. a couple of times but always got a heads up from someone else who got busted!

9. wes

wes G&G Newbie

Besides,if the SHTF,and radio commo is blacked out here,you will ALWAYS be able to get something on SW.