Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It appears that the Biden admin wants to create a shortage of 5.56 ammo. Joe has apparently stated that he wants to eliminate or reduce the sales from Lake city to civilian markets. This also has the probablitiy of eliminating 400-500 jobs at the plant. Needless to say winchester is not at all happy and is talking to admin officials about it. Those civilian sales help them to recoup costs of keeping people in jobs there. From what I understand Lake City accounts for about 30% of civilian sales. Joe will claim that this will cut down on shootings. However I suspect that the gov't is maybe? starting to run short on ammo and is trying to keep it for themselves. Unwittingly, I think he has just maybe created a run on the ammo market. What say you?

·
Registered
6,196 Posts
Im keeping an eye on this but not panicing just yet.

that said its no surprise that they are going to try to make guns and ammo harder and harder to get or afford, that has been slowly happening for years now, its just now getting to the point to where its really noticeable.

I went to the local bass pro to day and picked up some ammo.

they still had tons of ammo including 5.56 and m855, i picked up 3 boxes of m855 and some .22lr.

centerfire pistol ammo seems to still be quite highly priced, like $25-$30 bucks just for 50 rnd box of 9mm fmj.

they had lots of hunting rifle ammo but it too was quite expensive..300 blk was $30/ 20rnds for the cheapest, as was most other rifle rounds.

since i cant afford to really stock up like i want ill have to taper off my shooting practice some for the near future and pick up some when i can.

·
Registered
6,196 Posts
I have seen people say its becuase they are "switching to the new 6.8 sig round," however, I read they are building a whole new line for that ammo, while continuing to produce all the other stuff the military needs, .308, 5.56, and .50 bmg. Now, they may shift some of that capacity to that new line, but its my understanding that production of the new 6.8 is " in addition to" the existing production.

I sure hope that we dont lose access to lake city surplus ammo as its some of the best available. I cant wait to get my hands on some M855A1!

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
Interesting, if the Biden administration wants to change Lake City's production and revenue stream, that sounds like a contract change to me which would increase the price for the government. Once again, the Biden admin has no clue about economics, business, economy of scale, etc. They are hell bent on forcing scaricty of product, driving massive price increases, with ripple down effect. Also, I suspect the union will not like losing 400-500 members. That means there will be 400-500 families (meaning 800-1000) more people voting for Republicans plus the people that run the businesses and the shooting enthusiasts that can't get ammo. Joe B, the ripple down effect will be a massive Red tsunami...it's all on you Joe and your administration. The historians, the economists, the business world, and academia are all going to have a field day with all of this.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Biden is trying to halt the sale of .556 to civilians

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
It would be like 30% the .556 head stamp.
Which could be an issue for some of the newer AR owners. Who are not so familiar with interchangeability and such.
Just lookin' out.
Now if the people pushing this, (you know he was fed this crap from somewhere) get educated, then it might spread to other varients. More then a few law abiding gun owners would have a problem.

Me.. I cast and load, pretty much set with that calibers components. Most of my shooting is with a low velocity handloaded by me, just for close range target, so meh.

But I know the pain from getting caught by the 9mm shortage. I was not set up for that caliber, because for the longest time it was cheaper to buy, then to reload. Ye that one hurt, brand new gun and could not shoot it for 2 months.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts