Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my question is has any one successfully shorted the barrel f an SKS? I mean to like 16 inches? I was just curious because one late night while my wife was away I was extremely bored and decided that mine would look much better if it had a more tactical look.. i.e… shorter barrel. Well I did it and it looks sweet but it’s not ejecting the spend rounds at all now. I was having problems with this beforehand so I’m trying to figure out if I just shouldn’t have done that or if there is something to do to allow for more pressure? I tried the whole metal O-ring and that didn’t work. I was wondering if I should just rebuild the whole gas system on it or if I should try to hone out the passage leading up into the valve to allow for better flow. Any ideas would be great!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Did you cut the barrel off and remount the gas block or cut it off ahead of the gas block? If you did not bother the gas block make sure the switch is in the semi mode and not in grenade launching mode.
The barrel length after the gas block does not matter but will if the gas block was moved back towards the receiver.
Hard to describe here but the gas system is designed to work at certain length barrel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thaks a lot DWARREN123 for that info. I didn't touch the gas block at all. But It had been acting up before. I know there is a paratrooper model of the SKS that has a 16" barrel on it so that was why I felt safe to cut it down. I didn't want to deal with buying a new gas tube to put on it if that wasn't going to help but from what you're saying I'm still somewhat in the green.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,362 Posts
Cutting the barrel too close to the gas block may reduce the required back pressure - not enough "oomph" to cycle it. I seem to remember this being the case a few years back when someone else tried it.

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Ways to help this problem:
1.) Lubricate the receiver with grease (not oil)
2.) Open up the gas port EVER SO SLIGHTLY. This means find the original size and go barely higher. Good luck.
3.) Trim the op rod spring a little bit at a time. This is one of the easier parts to replace if you screw up.

For safety and longevity, use a recoil buffer, because 2 and 3 may make the bolt hit the receiver harder. Watch the life of the buffer and replace if necessary.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ive cut a yugo sks down i cut all the plumbing off the top i sold it to the gun store they said its value went down but it should still work ok and they bought it off me

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Cut all the plumbing off the top... I'm almost afraid to ask what you mean by that... or what they paid you for it afterwards.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yeah...Cutting off all the plumbing sounds like you turned it into a single shot only.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts