Shot a bit of a differnt gun today

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by jerry, Oct 10, 2010.

1. jerry

jerry Since 03-15- 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    Picked up an S-10 for my daughter to drive. Got a good deal on it with a bit of work to do. The hood and roof were weathered pretty bad on the clear coat. I spent some of this week end with the orbital, primed it up, taped it off and shot it this morning when it got warm enough. Would need to hit it with 1500 grit and a buffer to get the shine. Just happy it has corrosion protection for now.

Attached Files:

2. FN FAL

FN FAL NOT a new member Forum Contributor

I don't know what it is with these newer paints but you can look at an old beater that has sat out for the past 30 years and the paint has held up better than the vehicles of the past few years. The paint on my 94 Chrysler (mainly the top surfaces) was getting so rough it was like sandpaper so earlier this year I just started sanding it and blasting with industrial rustoleum black paint. It doesn't look half bad and if it makes the grocery getter last another year or two it was worth the effort. One thing I did notice is that even in area's with decent paint that I sanded down there was surface rust underneath the paint and primer leading me to think poor surface prep is a potential culprit.

tim

3. jerry

USA
    Yes Sir, Paint technology is changing all the time. Getting rid of the lead and increasingly lowering VOC's. Poor surface prep is the #1 culprit in a bad paint job as in your case. You can see why I got this done this weekend, the weather here in IL was perfect for it.

4. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

yer such a good pappy Jerry, i wish the daughter many happy and safe hours motoring in her present:bigok:

5. jerry

USA
    I try PAPPAG, you know how it is

6. I love the Sonama/S10 trucks...hope you got the 4.3V6, that engine is strong and will run forever...had over 250,000 HARD miles on my '91 sonama 4.3 when I sold it, still running around back home.

7. grizcty

grizcty God, Guns, Glory Forum Contributor

Are paint guns still "legal" in Illinois? LOL

Looks like, y'all still have nice weather too.

8. jerry

USA
    Yepper, 4.3 TBI
    This one is a '94

Yes Sir, I know it's hard to believe but spray guns are legal in IL LOL. Weather has been beautiful, Thanks

9. woody1981

woody1981 Love Your Firearms! Forum Contributor

Hope your daughter has a lot of luck with the Sonoma. I had one a while back, and it was a real runner. Loved it.

10. killsnapz

killsnapz G&G Evangelist

The 4.3 is a solid engine but the S-10 can have it's problem areas. Mostly the fuel deliver system. Alot of fuel pump failures and a funky injection system that is prone to clogging. Still they are not to bad to work on. The best tip I can give you is when it's time for a sparkplug change go through the whell wells with a long extentsion and a swivel spark plug socket. It's a real knuckle saver and it saves alot of time. Watch the distributor cap for corrosion. It is an extremely common problem for misfires. Also if it is 4WD inspect the oil cooler lines for leaks. Aslo a very comon problem and you can loose alot of oil very quickly. Good luck!

Michael

11. jerry

USA
    Thanks! Having the Throttle Body should reduce some of the fuel issues. There is still the pump, GM's seem sto be good for about 100K (at leat on the ones Iv'e had) Guy I bought it off of did the plugs. Iv'e put a rear diff cover and gasket on, adjusted and cleaned the rear brakes (parking brake don't work, so they never adusted on thier own) Painted the hood and roof & changed oil. Oh, I cleaned the upholstery good for her.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
  12. BarryHalls

BarryHalls G&G Evangelist

+1

I see brands, and models specifically peeling in a particular year, more than previous or later years, manufacturing goofs, formula changes, etc.

13. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Evangelist

The reason most factory paints don't hold up as well as the paint of old is the thickness of the paint applied. One way the auto manufactures dealt with the tighter restrictions on emitting vocs into the atmosphere was to reduce the mil thickness of the coats applied. This reduced the paints ability to hold up to the sun and other elements and what you would be left with was the primer showing through. It was cheaper for the auto manufactures to pay local body shops to repaint the cars under warranty then it was to change the process at the plant. Today they are using waterbourne paints and primers to as well as High Volume Low Pressure paint systems and better filtration systems to meet the EPAs stringent laws.

My best paint job I ever did was outside under the sun. I have sprayed cars in state of the art (at the time) down draft booths and they didn't turn out near as good in my opinion.

14. jerry

USA
    Pallidin is right about that. Iv'e been working in the finishing industry as an equipment distributor for 15 years now. I am lucky not to have to deal with Automotive, I work industrial. I deal with mostly plural component epoxy and Urethane top coat proportioning systems, Graco stuff. I commonly refer to HVLP as High Volume Low Production, LOL.