close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Shot Group Sizes

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by BattleRifleG3, Mar 16, 2002.

1. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

Ok, I haven't shot a bow in YEARS, but I was wondering how bow accuracy compares to bullet accuracy. Like group sizes. Random goofy question.

2. squirrelsniper

squirrelsniper G&G Newbie

I just started shooting a bow about a year ago but my 20yd groups usually measure around 2.5-3" (discounting my flyer every now and then) which limits my whitetail hunting range to around 30yds. There are guys at the bow shop where I go to practice sometimes that have shot in competitions for years and they can hit the nock of their own arrow at 20yds if they want to. This is with their hunting bows too, not their competition bow. They have to routinely replace their fletching and their arrow shafts get scratched because the groups are so tight that the arrows are rubbing together. Man, maybe I can do that someday.:D

3. beaurt

beaurt G&G Newbie

Accuracy

Well, It all depends on the intended target, range, and experience. I'm relatively new to the sport. I expect (of myself) to be able to hit tennis ball size targets out to 20-25 yards. At 35-40ysd my targets grow to about six inch pie plates. That is as far as I can consistantly hit a target that size (white tail vitals). Elk hunters (I assume) would allow for a larger target area and turkey hunters a smaller area. All in all, if you can hit the something the size of your hand out to 30-35 yards you are pretty good in my book. I think bow shooting takes lots more practice to just stay proficient than any type of firearm shooting.
    Brandon

4. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    yes they can be very accurate, ive split a couple of arrows(some luck involved), but there are guys out there that can put arrows into a group the size of a quarter at 30 yards consistently.

5. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    the accuracy can be very good, depends on as many factors as gun shooting. there have been times where i shot at 20~25 yards and walked away wishing i could have done that with one of my pistols.

i like to be able to pull the arrows 4~6 out with one hand but as mentioned it does get expensive when you robinhood them (shoot them into each other)

i have been bow hunting for 5 yrs with no tag filled. a couple of occasions were due to misses for one reason or another, some just dumb luck. We can take does here and it is encouraged for the overall health of the herd. i will say one thing, for me any way the adreniline factor is at least doubled with a bow. i can pull the trigger on about anything. with a bow i about jump out of my skin. i do know some who handle this better than others.

give it a try. one thing does seem weird, i'm happy with one bow, but can't seem to own enough guns. good problem to have i guess!

6. beaurt

beaurt G&G Newbie

Adrenaline

I think bowhunting is much more exciting than gun hunting if you are in a good location. It is very frustrating to not see any deer or if you can't get close to them. But man it is fun to have one just a few yards away and try to pick just the right moment to draw and release! It is very hard and very fun. Traded my favorite deer rifle for a new bow and have not looked back since. Of course I had to buy a new deer rifle too, but it all worked out nicely:D .

7. live2hunt

live2hunt G&G Newbie

hunting accuracy: pie plate!

8. MarkII 22

MarkII 22 G&G Newbie

What about with a crossw bow?