Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do you visually tell if a rifle is shot out ? what am i looking for? thanks for your advice.

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,306 Posts
check how strong the rifling is
Rifling is the main thing....you can have pits and frosting but good rifling and it will still shoot well....

If the rifling is gone hang it on the wall or make a shotshell 7.62x54r....

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
FYI, If the rifling looks very shallow, try scrubbing the barrel with a cleaner like Iosso or Brownells Bore Bright. I've seen barrels that looked like sewer pipes until all of the junk was scrubbed out of the grooves. Sometimes this residue will actually polish up to where it looks shiny. If you want to measure the lands and grooves in the barrel, you can use a hardwood dowel to drive a bullet-type fishing weight covered in grease down the barrel. When you get the weight out, use calipers or a micrometer to measure it.

·
Premium Member
30,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It has fairly sharp edges to my untrained eye. I guess ill have to wait until i get time to actually fire it. I bought it at big 5 and there was so much goop in it i just gambled and am hoping for the best...

·
Premium Member
30,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its a 91-30 and im trying to compare it to a m44 they are the only 2 mosins ive ever seen. so i dont know.

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
Some of them do better than you'd think with worn rifling

As long as there's enough to still grab the bullet. But if the rifling's too worn at the muzzle you don't have sniper material.Try dropping a loose slug down the muzzle. If it won't go, that end's probably ok. The farther it goes before it hangs up, the lousier it'll probably shoot.

If the rifling is beat-up right at the muzzle, it can be counterbored to give a sharp, even release to the bullet again. That's a repair that's fairly common on re-arsenaled rifles.

The usual disclaimer: I'm an amateur, and there are professional gunsmiths and dedicated gun nuts on gunandgame. If I'm giving bad or incomplete info, I hope and trust they'll speak up.

·
Premium Member
30,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im looking at it now and it has no lands or grooves at the end of the barrel and i can see where the copper smears end about 1/4 in. or so from the end of the barrel, i have fired this gun. do you think maybe its been counterbored?

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
Im looking at it now and it has no lands or grooves at the end of the barrel and i can see where the copper smears end about 1/4 in. or so from the end of the barrel, i have fired this gun. do you think maybe its been counterbored?
Generally, a counterbored Mosin will be bored around 1"-1 1\2" deep. The reason for the counterbore was usually due to cleaning rod wear. Yours may have been shallow-bored due to a deep nick or ding on the muzzle, but that type of damage is usually repaired by recrowning. There's no accounting for some of the repairs made to these guns though. Try Troys' suggestion- stick a bullet in the muzzle and see how far it goes in.

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
these guns are so inexpensive maybe i should just buy another 91-30. I have no idea how much it costs to counterbore a rifle. but this one has a lot of cool markings on it, cartouches ect.its probably not worth anything exept to me. advice? comments? thanks everyone! well i just tried dropping a slug down the barrel and it stops right away, i put it point down and as soon as the bullet stops tapering, there it stops. is this good?

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
these guns are so inexpensive maybe i should just buy another 91-30. I have no idea how much it costs to counterbore a rifle. but this one has a lot of cool markings on it, cartouches ect.its probably not worth anything exept to me. advice? comments? thanks everyone! well i just tried dropping a slug down the barrel and it stops right away, i put it point down and as soon as the bullet stops tapering, there it stops. is this good?
Another option is to cut the barrel back a tad and recrown it. How does it shoot?

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
I would clean the heck out of it, and shoot it. I'm sure it will be fine. If not, I guess you could buy another. It's personal preference really.

·
Premium Member
30,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ive cleaned till my arms got tired and finally started getting clean patches out of it. i also used the old shotgun mop soaked in birchwood casey gun cleaner on a drill and thoroughly cleaned the chamber. I think its as clean as its ever gonna get, right now its raining but if it stops today, ill give her a day in court...

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
I believe you're overthinking things

Take it out and shoot it. If you can hit whatever it is you like to aim at, it's good enough for what you're doing with it.

If you can't hit with this rifle but you can with others, you may have a problem.

·
Premium Member
30,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK the voice of reason .thanks troy i needed that !

·
Premium Member
30,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well i took it out fired it a couple times .boy is that bolt hard to open!!! i looked at the fired brass and it looks just like anything else i fire out of my m-44 no bulges or splits, cracks ect. i dont get it . any thoughts?

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
Yep, one thought: gummed-up chamber

Well i took it out fired it a couple times .boy is that bolt hard to open!!! i looked at the fired brass and it looks just like anything else i fire out of my m-44 no bulges or splits, cracks ect. i dont get it . any thoughts?
Browse thru old posts here or google the internet, and read up on polishing your chamber with Brasso or whatever.

What were you firing in it?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Usually, a rifle that has been shot out with just suffer in the accuracy department (the worst barrel I've ever shot through that was well beyond used put down a solid 8" group at 100 yards.)

If it were my Mosin, I would either hang it on a wall, or just shoot it anyways. Of the Mosins I have handled, few were used for hunting or extreme accuracy, and actually most were used just for pleasure shooting, so a little poor accuracy didn't change the fun of it.

If you are the sentimental type like me, I'd hang it on the wall and get another one. Not trying to sound like a spammer, but I know a guy who has one that is in perfect (Not issued) condition for less than $140 USD, If you are interested I can get you his contact info.

RR.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts