Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well went out this morning and shot my new Ruger 308 Hawkeye for the 1st time, it was 36 degrees and had a south east wind of 23 miles per hour and i was shooting into the north east , first off i had set up my targrt at 75 yards and went back to the truck and had a couple of old pillows for a rest, ( not the best for rest but worked ) I removed the bolt and looked down the bore to find the target found the bullseye and adjusted the scope the old fashion bore site way but worked very well, this new Leupold has the 1/2" increments and is friction adjustment instead of click, took me some what to get use to but did well. I had both Remington 150 grain core locks and winchester 150 grain power points, the cheap line of ammo 15 something a box. I will say both ammo shot thru the gun shot about the same as far as accuracy goes and both loads produced 1" groups out of the gun at 75 yards, winchester tending to be just a tad better it seems, now this was with the wind blowing and not that good of a rest , do keep that in mind. i am gonna shoot it with a rest soon and at 100 yards and i know the gun will shoot 1 inch or under with better neccessities than what i had i was still able to keep them in an 1 and 1/4 bullseye, sending some pics of the group shot with winchester power point 150's

Attachments

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,596 Posts
Glad you like it, you do like it? Ha ha
Looks like your off to a very good start and can only get better from here.
.308's have a way of dealing with the center of a target.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it is a great shooter, and like i say i know it will shoot better groups, gonna have to put it in a caldwell lead sled or another good rest and that will tell the tale i think. :yes(1):

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
two-70 I'm delighted you got to shoot your new Hawk Eye and it will do better.
I did the same as you when I shoot mine I took a pillow and a small rug and laid on top of the cab of my truck. I sat on the side of the bed and was very uncomfortable and the wind was gusting when I shoot mine.
Thanks for the report buddy...A.H

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello folks, I just signed on to the forum. I also own a Hawkeye in .308, since last March. Any suggestions for a good out of the box load for this gun for deer hunting. I have been shooting Hornady's 150gr sst, and only been getting 2" groups, thought I could do better. Topped the gun w/ a 3.5-10 Zeiss scope. Thanks

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
pa308 I have the Ruger Hawkeye Stainless/ Black Synthectic stock in 308 and mine shot Winchester Supreme Ballistic tip around 2 inch group at 100 yards.

I changed to Remington 150 gr. pointed Core Lok's and shot clover leaf and better with it.

Next I tried Winchester 150 gr. Power Points and they shot about 1 inch groups.

Try the Core Lok's and if you don't mind even if it's as long as a year from now.
I and others would like to know how your Ruger shoots when you try some other ammo in it.
Stay in touch...A.H

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. Figured I'd be trying something different, but I'll start w/ the Remingtons since it worked for you... and go from there, it may be awhile but I'll let you know how it goes. Nothin wrong w/ a 2" group, but I'm a surveyor by trade and I guess I have a thing about accuracy.
Doug Brehm, Carlisle PA

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i got 1" groups with both the core locks and power points in 150 grain, so do a little ammo work and you will find a keeper, i am not fond of the higher price premium ammo so i am pretty satisfied with the power points and core locks

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
Thanks Steve I'm a proud owner of a Ruger Hawkeye andIi plan on trying other different loads in mine.
I'm going to try to shoot mine fairly often...A.H

1 - 13 of 13 Posts