Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15,369 Posts
I'm satisfied with a Browning A5 with a couple of barrels. One is a 32" full choke. Some folks go for those 3 1/2 inch shells, to me, 3 inch magnums work fine. (so do 2 3/4 for close shooting).

·
Registered
15,369 Posts
I've seen folks use "extended barrels" for "turkey shoots". Don't recall them having any advantage in shot pattern.

·
Premium Member
24,316 Posts
when you say short pattern, do you mean for continuous, close shooting situations?
Pattern refers to how widely or narrowly the shot from a shotgun shell is dispersed. That is determined by the amount of restriction is manufactured into the end of the barrel. Some barrels are threaded so that differing choke tubes can be threaded into a barrel to vary that restriction and consequently the pattern that it will shoot.

·
Premium Member
24,316 Posts
What are thread-in barrel extensions vs a barrel choke?
A barrel extension would increase the length of the barrel whereas choke is strictly a reference to the amount restriction at the end of a barrel.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
It is used to lengthen the barrel to get as much of the powder to burn up before the wad & shot exit the choke at the end of the barrel. Doing this keeps the pattern tighter by not having the gas pressure blow the shot apart. It’s a trick for spotshoot/turkey shoot competitions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts