Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I did a search and came up with some generic info on cleaning a shotgun and my two other guns but I guess I'd like some other "tips"

I know its basic but having never really been taught anything about cleaning a gun what do all you do? cleaning oils, products, steps etc...

I have a pump shotgun, remington 870 .3006 and a semi auto .22.

any tips? suggestions? products you like?

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,594 Posts
There are really dozens of ways to accomplish this.

Start with a quality coated cleaning rod. If your just starting spend the money now.

There are a lot of good solvents, try a coupl different ones.

Same with oils & lubes, any high quality oil made for GUNS.

Know your weapon from a mechanical aspect, field strip etc.
Typically wet bore down with a patch of solvent
follow with bronze or nylon brush
repaet with patch untill comes out clean
Oil with clean patch follow with another clean patch to mop up excess
Use nylon tooth brush on hard to reach parts
wipe down thouroughly
If you have screw in chokes, clean and oil with propper choke lube or your back to a fixed choke.

Every weapon is a little different. So many different product and ways to do this.

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
Shotgun cleaning tips

1. Do not use WD-40 as it is detrimental to the chrome lining of the barrel.

2. Do consult with the NRA as they have many educational booklets available to all levels of shooters.

3. Buy a cleaning kit for your shotgun gauge.

4. Use a quality cleaner such as Hoppe's which is proven in the marketplace for decades to clean the bore.

5. Use a light machine oil to cover and protect the bore after cleaning. Also, wipe the external metal with a cloth saturated with a light machine oil.

6. Have a quality case in which to store your shotgun.

7. When not in use it is a good idea to remove your shotgun from its case monthly to check it and perhaps wipe it down with a cloth oiled with light machine oil.

8. I would not recommend using the products on the marketplace that are pressurized cans to blow material into and on the gun as you do not know what moisture may be in the can.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Here's a question I've got. If cleaning is important why is it that new rifle I just bought that was manf two years ago and TEST FIRED by the manf has NEVER been cleaned in the two years it has sat on the dealers shelf?

I clean them but I guess I don't get as excited about it any more.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Cranky,

I'm not flaming or being a smart-*ss but asking for help on-line is of limited use. However well intentioned the replys and info provided for you here, they will lack the power of hands-on (or hand-over-hand) instruction.
If you belong to a fish and game or other gun-type club ask there. Or go to your local mom & pop gun shop and get to know the proprietors (if you don't know them already), and ask for the low-down. You will learn far more, more quickly and without reinventing the "wheel of misfortune".

Owner's Manuals with instructions and exploded views will also be of great assistance. Especially facing a newly cleaned pile of field stripped parts you may or may not be intimately familiar with, and now tentatively (or desperately trying to) reassemble... :D Manuals are often available on-line and down-loadable from the manufactures' websites, or free via snail-mail from the manufacturer.

Hope this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts