Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just got back from a little skeet shooting with a buddy for the first time and have discovered that i really enjoy it. But i do not own a shotgun I had to borrow his. It was still fun but borrowing something always kinda makes me feel like an *** so I dug up a little cash and am now in the shotgun market. So, what would be the ideal skeet shooter? Nothing really extravagant but i do have a pretty good wad of change.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
I have a Beretta 685L O/U 12ga.......

I really love a good 'ole 870 though.....

·
Registered
9,080 Posts
I have a Mosburg 500 and its a great all around gun...paid $100 used for it...seen them a wal-mart for 200. Mine is the 18inch barrel..so Im not sure how it would do aginst skeet. But a longer barrel would probly be better.

I have an OLD J.C. Higgins auto loader 12 gauge I orignaly got for wifee poo cheep...it seems to jam with light loads...I do not know if the newer auto loaders work better with trap loads or not.

I seen a lot of these chinease??? over/unders in the SOG catlog for around 200-300...but dont know a think about them.

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
ARE YOU GOING TO USE IT JUST FOR SKEET???

or hunting also??? Eaa has some decent Russian made over/unders:D

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Ok Dude...I am the resident skeet, trap, and sporting clays shooter here on G&G. What you need to do before you buy anything is try out a few shotguns at the skeet range. I started out learning how to shoot skeet with a mossberg pump .12 with a mobile choke on the end of the barrel, it was a nice gun, but you know the difference between driving a rambler and a smooth sports car..well guns are the same. You can outgrow a shotgun as your skill improves. I switched to a beretta semi-auto .12 ga with a 26' barrel with screw in chokes. I also, shot a 1100 did not care for it.. to many rings and springs gets dirty and jams up to fast. I ended up with a skb o/u and a beretta 682 o/u. Ok...here is what you need for Skeet...a 26 or 28 inch high ribbed vented barrel you need cylinder bore or a wide open choke so you can have a big spray or pattern...a nice O/U with selector switch on the trigger with ejectors....whatever you get make sure you pattern it first...they have a lazer you can put in the end of the barrel to see where your shooting or you can always use the old grease on pattern board. I would get an O/U..right off....forget the semi-auto's and pumps...a nice O/U....like a browning citori is a good gun for skeet...now I am not telling you to go out an get ljutic or perazzi right off...but you would be better off getting a nice o/u if you plan to really get into the game.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I also forgot to mention make sure you get a skeet stock and an adjustable comb fit to you...check out Beretta 686 682 687EELL... Browning Citori...Winchester super Xm-1 Krieghoff K-80..SKB O/U would be my choice....have fun good shooting.....there are lots of fine guns out there...find one that fits you and works for you....:nod:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well thanks a lot everyone. Especially missharpshooter. I will probably follow her advice and go with a decent o/u. Again, thanks.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well i was brousing the Ruger website and saw some pretty good lokking o/u shotguns. They seemed to meet all the advice given to me by sharpshooter and I really like Ruger. If you have any favourable experiences with Ruger shotguns i would like to buy from my favourite company.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I don't want to discourage you but I have shot and looked at the Ruger Red Label shotguns.... I did not care for them...way to light...remember the lighter the shotgun the more recoil you will have...they bounce all over the place..even if you have the barrels ported ...which I would not do..they are still pretty light....also, get a 2 3/4 and 3 inch chamber.....just to have it...in skeet most shooters use # 8 which is a good shot I like federal gold medal or winchester double A's and if you reload the double A's are the best....don't use off brand ammo I have got U.S. ammo with no primers....I even shot with no powder...PULL...BANG..POOF...****...and the wad falls out the end of your barrel....and your standing there scratching your head like what hell was that...Oh bye the way a lot of warranties change after you use reloads through your barrel......so check all the paper work.....get a nice Beretta....they are so sweet...a 26 or 28....you have to swing through the shot so you need a shorter barrel...:nod:

·
Registered
654 Posts
Patience is a virtue

I've got a Remington1100 with a 30" barrel.....I love it but the pattern doesn't open up until about 40 yards....
I keep claiming to be shooting cleanup...SHHHHH don't tell em and they'll never know.....

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Heck, I used to shoot skeet with my Street Sweeper. It really annoyed the guys with the expensive doubles. I was not too bad either. I can hit clay pigeons without sighting down the barrel of a scatter gun. I do not know how exactly. I just put the gun to my shoulder, watch the target, and somehow direct the shot with my face clear of the stock and barrel. That also annoys other people. I have a nice bolt action 16 ga.now, that would be good for skeet, and bought it for only $50. I had to sell the street sweeper several years ago because Loyd Bentson outlawed it. I did get the paperwork, but decided not to file it and sold the gun cheap during the "Grace Period". Of course, it would be worth a small fortune, now.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
I enjoy My 870 for skeet It is a combat/riot setup with a knoxx comp stock with the recoil absorbing spring/cam thingy in the stock. That device makes all the difference in the world.
The cylinder bore barrel works great.
I also have a Mossberg that is adequate
The really fun skeet gun is my repop m1897 trench gun
Shooting skeet with Bayonet attached......priceless.

Mis sharp shooter was right try some different ones out
The o/u 12 ga are what the experienced people get.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Miss Sharp Shooter:

What do you think about the American Arms Silver II? (I think that is the name) I know they are a little on the sheap side but for what little trap I get to shoot I don't want to wrap up to much money.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
DHERMESC...I think the American Arms Silver 11 is a beautiful gun for the price...but it is a field gun with a field stock and I do believe the barrels 26 and 28 would be good for skeet, but way to short for trap.....in trap you need to have a 32 to 36 barrel for those long shots....it would also be good for upland game and wing shooters and sporting clays...I would like to have one...http://www.gamaliel.com/guns/americanarms/

1 - 17 of 17 Posts