Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I'm wondering if it is at all possible to reload most shotgun hulls? Particulary the bulk Federal boxes you buy at Wally World for $15. I use those for shooting clays and I've saved around 75 or so from my last outing, just because. I guess I feel like I should save all those hulls for the day when CA outlaws all new production ammo sales in the state. Then I would have something to reload with. (I don't currently do any reloading) Know what I mean?

So am I wasting my time/space by saving those? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Some of the cheaper stuff doesn't reload so good. I use ony AA hulls.

·
Registered
586 Posts
The Federal Promo shells can be loaded with the same reciepe as Gold medals. You do need to watch the base wads so they don't get loose of break up. These promos should only be loaded once or twice at the most. I only use Rem.STS's because the new Win AA's have a seperate base wad that can and has come loose. I know of two burst barrels because the base wad stuck in the barrel becoming an obstruction for the next shot. Win went cheap and shot themselves in the foot. The old AA's were the best, no question but I have nothing to do with the new HS style AA's.

Shotgun Sports mag. did atest on STS's and found they held their pressure & velocity thru 10 loads with out any drop-off and some of the test shells went 18 reloads before they split.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
I have reloaded so many different shotshells it isn't funny. OK, This is what I learned: Most often shotshells of any brand can be reloaded if you are using lighter loads such as for skeet. Watch the crimp for signs of cracking. Personally, I am with Dave on this. Use a decent shell to start reloading, and they will last alot longer. Nothing bites as bad as watching your gun blow up in your face. well, maybe a few things do, but you get my drift I reckon.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I agree that AA shells are the best and easiest to reload, but most shooters at my club buy the cheaper off-brand Winchester (steel "brass" instead of true brass) and leave the empties by the hundreds at the range. I pick 'em up and reload them using the same settings as the AA loads (17 gr RedDot, AA wad, 1 1/8 #8 shot).
I have so many that I can use them once, and then toss 'em. Works great. They feed just fine through my 1100. The steel is a bit harder to resize, but not that much.

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info guys. Dave, you mention that Winchester loads are prone to the wads sticking and blowing up barrels. Is that all Winchester loads??? I just bought a box of Winchester cheapies from Wally World. Please let me know!! Thanks!

·
Registered
586 Posts
The ones I know of were the new style Win. AA's that are marked as HS for high strength that had been reloaded 3-4 times. The old style AA's were compression formed with the base wad molded into the body of the case. The new HS AA's have a pressed in seperate base wad, and that is what caused the obstruction. They were not factory loads that seperated, but reloads loaded 3-4 times as stated.

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dave, thanks for the info. I reread your earlier post and saw what you meant. Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts