Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K., I just purchased three shotshell presses for cheap (2 Lee Load All's and a MEC Super speeder 400). I plan on using these for the "learning curve" and possibly upgrading to a more modern machine, or just selling them all and continuing to buy commercial ammo if it proves to be a pain in the a**. Any thoughts, recommendations, or tips? BTW, my preferred load is 12 ga., 2 3\4", 1 1\8 oz., 7 1\2 shot. I normally shoot the Win. AA Super Sport load which steps out @ around 1300 FPS. I'd like to duplicate this load without blowing the pattern all to he**. I've got hundreds of once-fired cases and can get the remaining components locally for decent prices. So.....?

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
The Lee loaders wont resise the metal on the hulls so you either use the shells in the same gun or you cant chamber them.I would hold onto the Mec just in case shells get higher but at present I can buy shells at Wally,s or Meijer cheaper than I can reload but not quite as good but not enough difference to pay for all the trouble. sam.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,713 Posts
The Lee will resize. (at least low brass loads) I have had one for 20 years. You need the steel collar to place on the hull base during the primer deprime stage. I fire them in all my guns including the Sx2 semi auto. I have seen where it won't do high brass well.

The price of components has made shotshell reloading a custom proposition. Lead shot is the worst culprit. Used to buy it for 12 or 13 a bag I think it's like 27 -30 now.

The Lee dosen't crimp the newer winchester AA huls well. No matte rhow I try, they won't crimp well. They changed the plastic or something. My 20ga MEC does fine.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I've had the same Lee LoadAll since the 1970's. It has loaded tens of thousands of 12 gauge target rounds. I consider it to be the best value of anything I've ever bought, gun-related.

My old LoadAll resizes just fine, thank you - but those cheapie shells with the soft-steel "brass" ARE a pain. And I agree with Jerry that it seems to crimp the old style AA hulls a lot better.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
Very pleased to hear you are both satisfied with your Lee loaders.I know I have one somewhere but I dont know where.I also have a MEC model 8120 Sizemaster but outside of .410 shells I dont use it much.Its fun to reload but not much difference in price.I can save on steel 3". sam.

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just discovered that of the two Lee machines, one is a 20 and the other is a 12. The MEC hasn't arrived yet but it is a 12 as well. The Lee's look like cheap pieces o' krap, but then again, so does most of their stuff, and it's always worked well for me. FWIW Jerry, the cheapest price I've found for 7 1\2 shot is @ cabelas and is $32.99\25 lb. bag. I'm not looking to save a ton of money reloading but I'd like to be able to good load quality ammo for the same as what the cheap ammo sells for. If I can work up a load that patterns well and has decent speed (1300 f.p.s.) for under $6\box, I'll be happy.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I have a MEC set up for loading 12 Ga. I have loaded 1,000s of rounds with it and even taught my son, (when he was about 7) to load with it. He has loaded 100s of rounds, with nary a problem.

I got the MEC and a Lee Loadall in some trading, but never used the Lee Loadall. It didn't look like a quality product, and I sold it right after I got it. I guess I messed up on that one.

Nick

1 - 7 of 7 Posts