Should I keep my shotgun loaded?

Discussion in 'Shotguns' started by Sober, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Sober

Sober G&G Newbie

Hey, I have a Mossberg Maverick 88 and I was wondering if it wears out the spring inside the shotshell tube by keeping it loaded. I mean its kind of pointless as a Home Defense weapon if its unloaded right? I do have one of the Armband type things that goes over the butt of the stock and it has 5 shot shells in it at all times. Thing is is I've been told by a buddy of mine that keeping the shotty loaded can wear out the spring in the tube and I was wondering what yall's opinion was on it cause I really dont think in a pinch that ima have time to load it. I live in a small apartment and my front door leads directly outside so if there is an intruder I dont have time to dick around. So is it alright to keep em in the tube?

2. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

I keep Mine Loaded...springs wear from Loading and unloading...not keeping the mag loaded !

3. jerry

jerry Since 03-15- 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    most good springs don't have memory set.You could replace the spring now and then, they are cheap. A good spring and follower from a performance shop may buy piece of mind. Worst case, you have a single shot.

4. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

^ Only on 100 proof burbon! As Mooseman and others have said repeatedly,"springs loose power from being flexed/used,not from tension.I have known of springs that were under tension for years and still worked fine.The ones that are worked/flexed will weaken in time.(a long time usually)

5. I know where there's one that's been loaded for 40 years and it works every time we take it out to clean. It cycles the rounds out on the floor every time. It does it's job as a home defense weapon very well, it collects dust.

6. jmp8927

jmp8927 G&G Evangelist

I usually keep my Mossberg 500 loaded with 3 shells instead of the total of 5. I don't see any reason to keep the entire 5 in there all the time.

7. Sober

Sober G&G Newbie

Well thanks guys Just to make myself feel better I went and Loaded it up. Now I dont have to worry about trying to load the thing with some dude (potential dead guy) lurking around my apartment.

8. Never_Evil

Never_Evil G&G Evangelist

Keep it loaded. On the very off chance your spring doesn't work anymore, you can feed from the ejection port. In most cases you will never need to fire a shot if someone comes in your home. If you do have to fire one shot, there is a low probability there will need to be a second shot.

9. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

It all depends, are you better at shooting or swinging a bat? If you are Babe Ruth incarnate, then keep it unloaded and beat the snot out of whoever breaks in. If you don't have a great arm, keep it loaded and shoot'em when they come through the door. The advantage with the second method is that you can pretty much take care of everything from bed until the cops show up, then you might want to put on some pants...

10. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

That is what I would suggest also if you are worried about the springs being under maximum tension, just reduce the load 1 or 2 rounds.

My CZ SP-01 Phantom only has 15 rds. in the magazines instead of 18. Six magazines @ 15 rds. each is still a lot of fire power. Same with my 30 rd. AR-15 mags, they just have 27 in them. My revolvers, I fill up. LOL

11. Sober

Sober G&G Newbie

Actually its funny because I had 4 left in a box and I just loaded those instead of opening another box and then loading to max cap. So I guess Im right on board.

@ Tool Yah man Im a 350 pound dude with big a$$ arms and I have my easton bat from when I played ball sitting next to my couch. Cause if someone were to come in my front door while im in the living room I dont have time to run into the bedroom to grab one of my guns. Also have a machete sitting in here somewhere(probably under a chair). I have always LOVED my bat lol was my only line of defense for along time and I use it well.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  12. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
    An unloaded gun is a very poor defense weapon.

13. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

^ You ain't a lyin there brother !!

14. BarryHalls

BarryHalls G&G Evangelist

My 500 is fully loaded 24/7.

15. Same here

16. If its an HD shotgun you should be taking it out and shooting it every other month. You should know where every shot from every type of round you load in it is going to hit. IF you do that and the spring does get weak you will know it.
    I have heard this story from others as well. I really dont believe its an issue. And as said if in 40 years you need to replace it its not a big deal.

17. Mine stays fully loaded and close to my bed. Been that way for years, hasnt caused me any problums.

18. ET..

ET.. G&G Newbie

Even if keeping the shotgun loaded wore out the mag spring, wouldn't you want the gun to be loaded? Replacing the mag spring is really cheap. I want a loaded gun by my bed instead of an empty gun with a nice strong like new spring.

19. krazykeny

krazykeny G&G Newbie

I have the Maverick Modell 88 with the 20 inch barrel, and 8 round tube magazine.
    Mine stays loaded since the day I got it, and shoots fine.

20. Yogi

Yogi G&G Newbie

rem 870 with 6 3" mag 00 int the mag, 5 in the sleeve and 7 on the sling. (1 in the chamber-safety on) 24-7-365. right by my bed. Plus 2 German Sheppards for the alarm system.

Attached Files: