Registered
10,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
M-110 pistol :)

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hope to be able to display a Calico of my own here one day. How reliable and accurate are they?
The M-100 carbine will beat a 1022 for precision, but just by .16 on a regular basis.
Won't beat a Marlin 60 or 795.

As far as reliable, if you buy one used, you do need to tweak 'em a little.
But its the basic things you'd do to any used semi-auto...
First...Clean it like an OCD gun nut...go all Sledge Hammer or Sgt. Tackleberry on it ;)
Polish the bolt & rails & trigger/sear mating...
I even polished my firing pin in the M-110 pistol...
Learn how to take the magazines apart & reassemble 'em....they need regular cleaning like any mag...
Stock a few extra mag springs...they last about 10-20 years depending on how much you abuse 'em...
and its easy to find ragged-out mag shells that need springs...so stocking a few kits comes in handy ;)

I haven't bought one new yet...I keep finding slightly used stuff to play with ;)
Most folks screw up by overcranking the mag spring...then they get frustrated by fail to loads...
they sell 'em cheap, so I end up paying half of what they're normally worth, buy a new spring, and I'm good to go :)

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll keep that in mind, I don't think I've ever seen but one or two for sale and they wanted something like $900 for a used carbine.
There's one for $500 with folding stock as a Buy It Now on Gunbroker :)
You can usually find 'em around $500 easy if you search...

Lower than that takes some serious digging... :)

·
Registered
232 Posts
thoose look like alot of fun to shoot. if i can ever find one and can afford it i'd buy it just because they're unusual.

·
Registered
106 Posts
re: "overcranking the mag spring"

OK - where can I get a new one (And how do I NOT overcrank?)
Don't you have one you want to sell your fellow Floridian?

(Panting)

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
re: "overcranking the mag spring"

OK - where can I get a new one (And how do I NOT overcrank?)
Don't you have one you want to sell your fellow Floridian?

(Panting)
When you wind the crank...it'll suddenly CLICK the first bullet into the feed lips.
I usually give 'em one more wind and stop there.

Then after about half the mag, usually one wind...most of my mag-springs are fairly old tho...pricey little rascals...
but I do need to get almost all of 'em replaced on my .22's

Sometimes with 90 out, you need another to finish it off.

With a new mag, usually the initial winding is all you need...with older ones...a few more times as you empty 'em.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Mine looks like pitweasles black one. One of the funnest guns I have shot.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I so don't care WHAT it costs me. I live in a split level apt. with (for now) 2 exits.
If I have nearly 100 rounds of 9mm semi - I am in heaven. While I have little faith in 9mm stopping a man better than a baseball bat - the very CONCEPT of laying down enough suppressive fire to deny entry while wife escapes - is worth everything.

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I so don't care WHAT it costs me. I live in a split level apt. with (for now) 2 exits.
If I have nearly 100 rounds of 9mm semi - I am in heaven. While I have little faith in 9mm stopping a man better than a baseball bat - the very CONCEPT of laying down enough suppressive fire to deny entry while wife escapes - is worth everything.
Escape?

Heck, get her one too...she can support!!
Or at least cover the other exit ;)

Its why I have multiples...between my wife and I, no bad guys will be left standing.
Of course, our Army & Marine training make us a little better prepared than average...and better than average shots :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
My M100

I almost didn't buy this gun. I had a Browning Buckmark on layaway years ago and they managed to lose it after I made the last payment and wanted to pick it up. The salesman offered me the Calico for the same money. I had never heard of them but when I saw that the magazine held 100 rounds... I thought "plink monster"! Here she is...

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
Does a kit exist to convert this pistol (Lib III?) to something like a Liberty II or Liberty 100? I want to buy it and take it to the range right away - just cant figure out if law permits that in FL for longer 9mm semis. If not - while waiting for approval on the larger carbine - I could at least have something to play with. I don't need full auto at all - just semi. Seems like mag has a learning curve for winding and cleaning properly. Coolest Calico Video ever: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqW3JvrHKrk]Calico Carbine Demo - YouTube[/ame]

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Never seen one before, not to sure what to think, til the 100 round mag. entered the picture I'll bet it is a blast to shoot.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Good News! (I think). After nearly hiring a lawyer; I finally found this at ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - National Firearms Act (NFA) - Short Barreled Rifles and Shotguns
"A firearm that meets the definition of a SBR consists of a rifle that has a barrel less than 16 inches in length.
Q: Does the installation of a barrel over 16 inches in length (SBR) or 18 inches in length (SBS) remove the firearm from the purview of the NFA? If so, is this considered a permanent change?
Installation of a barrel greater than 16 inches in length (SBR) or 18 inches in length (SBS) will remove the firearm from the purview of the NFA provided the registrant does not maintain control over the parts necessary to reconfigure the firearm as a SBR or SBS."
So one should be able to take any semi calico made with a 16+ inch barrel and never have to deal with NFA FED S*^T?
God I hope I am correct!
Long barrel = better accuracy!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts