showing off my baby

Discussion in 'Smith & Wesson' started by Tracer, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Tracer

Tracer G&G Aussie Dad

hey guys wanted to (shamelessly)show off my baby before she is all black and sooted up again from .38 reloads.if you have a chance at a 627 from the peformance center get it.double action is really sweet and getting better!

Attached Files:

2. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Now THATS a great looking revolver !!

3. White Rook

White Rook G&G Evangelist

+1

4. chesterwin

chesterwin G&G Evangelist

Sweet looking handgun! The grips remind me of the custom S&W grips on the 586 I gave my dad for Christmas years ago...

5. .22guy

.22guy G&G Enthusiast

+100000

That is fine looking weapon you've got there!

6. Tracer

Tracer G&G Aussie Dad

thanks guys, it shoots pretty good too!

7. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Always proud to hear from a man that has a real good gun and is proud of it.I am sure this is truly a marriage made in heaven.Congrats.

8. grizcty

grizcty God, Guns, Glory Forum Contributor

Nice looking wheel gun.

I have never shot one of these.
    How does she shoot with .357's, compared to .38's?

9. Hammer Down

Hammer Down G&G Addict

S&W's True Performance Hand Guns... The Early Years

Hello tracer & chesterwin
    The "Performance center" weapons are the cream of the crop at S&W, and their earlier root's came as to be Joseph Wesson's earth shaking Idea. Way Back before the Performance center, to be exact in 1935 S&W rocked the revolver world with their Very first Performance Magnum revolver being the 1935 Registered Magnum. Wesson was an avid Hunter and Target shooter, and he Yearned to offer his shooting Public a Custom Built High grade hand gun. This custom hand built hand gun was offered as a totaly Customer ordered gun, and Wesson assigned his Best Gun Smith's to build them as the Highest level offering to ever come out of S&W Then, or Since. It had a long list of customer order options as Blued or Nickel finish, and barrel length's in 1/4" Increments from 3-1-2" to 8-3/4" length. There were 19 different sight combinations, Stocks of Factory service style High Grade Walnut, Ivory, or the Optional Walter Roper Custom shooting Target grips.

To get one of these Custom Built Registered Magnum revolver's, you had to fill out a customer order sheet, and indicate what options you wanted on your revolver. S&W would then build it to your Specs. and then sighted it in with either .38 Special or The New then, .357 Magnum ammo at what ever range you specified either Point of aim, or what ever yardage you desired before it left the factory. When the gun shipped out to the customer they sent out a customer Registration card with it, as all Registered Magnums had a Registration Number stamped in the Guns crane assembly area. In turn, The customer would fill out the Registration card and return it to the factory, and the Factory would then, return an elaborate frameable Registration certificate, signed by Wesson with the customer's name and address on it as their way of providing a Life time warranty of the revolver. showing their durability and quality to the customer

These Gun's got off to a rather slow start compared to today's standards, as the world was just coming out of a Major Depression, and this was the Highest price S&W hand gun ever made at $61.00 a Piece. The very first year of them being 1935 a total of Only 720 of were built. J. Edgar Hoover the famed FBI Head agent got one of the first ones as a Gift, (Wesson was No Fool, as he Knew many more sales would come from the Fed's.} along with Philip Sharp the Famed California Hand Loader who designed & developed the .357 Magnum round, and The US Army General George Patton got a 3-1/2" barrel model as well, equipped with Ivory grips that had his Initals inlaid in Gold on them, which he Fondly called his Killing machine that shipped sighted in at his request to be a Dead Center Point of Aim ! Surprisingly, These took off like Hot Cakes in sales and by 1939 S&W Ceased the Customer Registration process, to speed up production of them.

After World War II Production resumed on these as they were simply called the .357 Magnum, as it was the Only Gun S&W Offered in the .357 Magnum caliber. In 1957 S&W assigned this gun the Model number of The 27. Many Years later they came out with the 627 In stainless and the Performance center Offered the Custom performance revolver like yours called the P.C 627. Shown below is my First Year Registered Magnum that shipped in December 1935, and this is the gun that started the .357 Magnum Line at S&W, along with Custom Built Hand Guns. The Grips on your gun are Kim Ahrends brand. They are called his Secret service style grips...So, Now you know how the True Early Performance Weapons got started at S&W and how their Famous Life Time Gun Warranty came to be....:biggthumpup: and here is my 1935 First Year Registered Magnum wearing a set of Original Walter Roper custom shooting Target grips...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Ninja Piper

Ninja Piper G&G Evangelist

Stupid question... Why is the left side of the frame bent out behind the cylinder? I've noticed that on a lot of revolvers and figure it must serve some type of purpose... I bet it's some really common sense answer that completely eludes me right now! Any help?

11. Tracer

Tracer G&G Aussie Dad

for the ejection rod to fit in

12. Tracer

Tracer G&G Aussie Dad

thank you hammerdown I enjoyed the post alot . griz it is very balanced .38 are like .22 s my 125gr hanloads are loud but those grips and my big mitts shoot till you run out of ammo! also being an 8 shot it ain't light.

13. Hammer Down

Hammer Down G&G Addict

Hello Tracer
    You are welcome Sir. Here is the Grand Son to my 1935 Registered Magnum. It is a Pre-27 that shipped in 1955. It has been said that very few Pre-27's were made in Factory Nickel finish, and these 3-1/2" barrel models are very Hard to come by. This one came equipped with Three T's as they call it, or is also called Full Target as it has Target Hammer, Target Trigger and Target Stocks....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Tracer

Tracer G&G Aussie Dad

do you own anything that is not absolutly beatiful??

15. Hammer Down

Hammer Down G&G Addict

Hello Tracer
    I try Hard not to...:laughing: Life's Way "To Short" to own Ugly Guns... :shrug:

16. Tracer

Tracer G&G Aussie Dad

here's how i keep my body guarded :tongue1:

Attached Files:

17. Hammer Down

Hammer Down G&G Addict

Hello Tracer
    I like the Model 49 Bodyguards myself. Here is a very early one that I have Wearing a set of Factory Boot Grips on it...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. G. Green

G. Green G&G Newbie

Dat is a pretty girl you posted Tracer! (That pic Hammer down posted was great too!)