Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was admiring Billies No4 and described my reasons really for owning one I thought I might put it in its own thread rather than hyjacking his thread.

I bought my No4 mk1* because it is close to what my Father would have trained with in 1942 the year he joined up. It is Canadian made (Long Branch) where he trained also its all I am legally allowed to own in New Zealand of the weapons he used.

His main weapons are outside my ability to own. He trained as a pilot here in NZ in Tiger Moth then P40 before being sent via San Francisco to Calgary where he did furthur training in P40's before transfering to Corsairs and then active duty in the Solomons, rabaul and Papua New Guinea. So his other weapons after basic training with the 303 were .5 browning machine guns x 6 at once and a Smith and Wesson 38 revolver which he carried on mission in case he bailed out.

I have in my possesion 3 rounds of .5 which were taken from his plane the day peace was declared (we call them the peace rounds) and I can see them right now sitting on the mantle. I also have a single round of 30cal from his best mate in Bouganville (US base). I would love to get a Smith and wesson to match his but probably impractical with our gun laws here.

I'll try and get a better pic of the 303 but this is the view I like :)

·
Premium Member
30,730 Posts
cool! thank you for sharing!

·
Premium Member
30,730 Posts
yeah! wheres the rifle smut?!?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Sorry for the delay guys camera issues and even then its still not crystal clear but got there in the end.

Note spike bayonet geez that thing is lethal hate to be involved in a fight with those suckers. .311 cal holes are bad enough

·
Premium Member
30,730 Posts
yeah!

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
Awesome Beaker. Very nice rifle and enjoyed the history. My father was in the Pacific in WWII also, so always enjoy seeing the stories. You guys and your Enfields are going to make me part with some more of my funds one of these days...
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing

·
Registered
9 Posts
First I would like to say hello. This is my first post.

Looking at the Beakers Enfield ( by the way really nice!) and all other No.4 MKI`s they all look different from mine. Mine is a Savage but does not have wood on the top of the barrel. Also, the wood below the barrel is tapered on the end toward the shooter. And no place for a bayonet on the barrel end. Everything else if the same as all the other MK I`s but the strap holder is close to the trigger. The end site also slides for crosswinds.

Maybe the barrel has been changed?

I have fired this rifle many times but is has been at least 20 years since. Very accurate!!

Just getting into guns again and am wondering about this strange specimen of a MK I!! Thanks in advance.

Bob

Attachments

·
Premium Member
30,730 Posts
has it been (gasp)sporterized?
its hard to tell what exactly is going on with that rifle from the photo.

·
Premium Member
30,730 Posts
well the stock isn't correct of course but does the front blade type sight have ears protecting it? two projections on either side of it?
it there anything on the end or near the end of the barrel? anything poking out of the side that looks like it would fit into something?

·
Registered
9 Posts
No ears are protecting the sight. Nothing on the end of the barrel. No indents for bayonet application. All other models of this kind have the indents for a bayonet. This almost looks like a Jungle version. Kind of? I am clueless!!! Maybe I have a limited edition! LOL!!!

·
Premium Member
30,730 Posts
that aint no jungle carbine!
what you have there is more than likely a bubba job.
that happens to shoot well.
limited edition as in the only one that particular bubba got his mitts on!
oh well you got a shooter

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes certainly "sporterized" however while not particularly valuable great as a plinker or training rifle for a new shooter over here they are popular as cheap pig guns or a bush rifle for deer.

You can get one here for around fifty bucks and be out shooting same day cheaper than a weekends ammo and powerful enough to drop anything.

If you have the space hang onto it and keep an eye out for origional parts to convert back to as issued and it may be worth something one day. Good condition as issued rifles are rising in value quite fast certainly doubled value in the last 2 years in New Zealand mind you they are linked to our nations history so a popular rifle and not so many about either. We have service rifle evnts just for 303's last one I went to had 60 competitors with very nice rifles and allot of fun. (I came 18th in that comp)

I suppose in the US though the M1's would have a similar following do you guys have clubs and competitions for those over there.

·
Premium Member
30,730 Posts
oh yes! we have lots

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes certainly "sporterized" however while not particularly valuable great as a plinker or training rifle for a new shooter over here they are popular as cheap pig guns or a bush rifle for deer.

You can get one here for around fifty bucks and be out shooting same day cheaper than a weekends ammo and powerful enough to drop anything.

If you have the space hang onto it and keep an eye out for origional parts to convert back to as issued and it may be worth something one day. Good condition as issued rifles are rising in value quite fast certainly doubled value in the last 2 years in New Zealand mind you they are linked to our nations history so a popular rifle and not so many about either. We have service rifle evnts just for 303's last one I went to had 60 competitors with very nice rifles and allot of fun. (I came 18th in that comp)

I suppose in the US though the M1's would have a similar following do you guys have clubs and competitions for those over there.
Thanks for the replies guys. Sorry if I hijacked your thread. I do not know how to start a new thread!

I have some more photos posted. The thing I do not get is the barrel not a solid piece connected to the chamber? If so, it says US Property on the side of the chamber. This would tell me that the barrel is stock, but it sure is not stock!! Can you change the barrels on these? Sorry for all the questions I would like to get it back to it`s original condition though.

Any thoughts on some places to purchase parts to get it back to stock?

Thanks,

Bob

Attachments

·
Premium Member
30,730 Posts
e-gunparts,Natchez.
those are the only two i can think of right now.
if i were you i would just buy another one.
they aren't that expensive.
i don't know if you CAN restore that one without a gunsmith.

·
Registered
9 Posts
That stinks! I was hoping to do it myself. You are probably right though. By the time I bought the parts for it I could get a new WWII era Enfield. Thanks for input.

I will begin looking for some Enfeilds around the area. I really like the rifle and the history of them.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts