close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Shr/str

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Superbee, Mar 16, 2002.

1. :) Like my SHR 970 a lot in .308 cal. This hunting rifle is cool, too easy to switch barrel for different cal. Also have another barrel in 30-06. It shoot great and good for hunting.
    Is there anyone that has a SIG STR?. This STR (Swiss Target Rifle) is basically like SHR but meant for target shooting. I want to know how this Target Rifle shoot. I noticed that the price is pretty high, must be very accurate?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2002
  2. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

Didn't even know they made rifles. Love my P226. Are the rifles bolt action or what?:confused:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2002

3. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

I have a P220 45 for my daily carry and love it but Yes Klause Sig has made rifles under the Styer brand for close to 50+ years if I remember right

4. :D Klaus/Shaun
    Thanks for your response. Someday soon I will have P223.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2002
  5. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

I have seen Steyr rifles. I did not know they were Sigs, since Steyr is Austrian and Sig is Swiss.

6. mrmarklin

mrmarklin G&G Newbie

;) SIG imports 2 brands of rifles that are not made by them AFAIK. These are Blaser, and Mauser. Steyr is a separate Co, and its Importer is RWS, currently.

BTW the Blaser series is excellent: all one could wish for in a hunting rifle.:D

7. Klaus, Yes, the SHR 970 is a bolt action. I bought mine 2 yrs ago and used it during deer hunting season here in North WI. The guys were very impressed about this. Aside from quick switch barrel feature, the engineering design is superb. The bolt is securely lugged directly into the barrel, which in my opinion is very strong. The bolt slides into the breech very smooth during the feeding and cocking operation. At the range, it performed good, upon switching barrel each of 5 groups of five shots. I got an average of 1.25" @ 100 yds, not bad at all for hunting rifle with switch barrel. The finished of the barrel is also called Ilaflon and its very different. The gun makers claimed that this Ilaflon finished is stronger than stainless steel. Hope its true.
    I know for the fact that the SIG is well known for thier pistols but I 'm not a Pistolero man. I had a berreta in 9mm cal. around my waist for 5-yrs when I was in the service.

8. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

Well, Bee, is it a Sig or a Steyr? Like I mantioned earlier, Sig and Steyr are different companies in different countries. Sig now owns the Mauser name and they have a close relationship with the German Sauer company, but I can find no connection between them and the Austrian Steyr firm. Do you have a link to a site that gives more information about the rifles?

9. SHT/STR

Klaus ' As far as I know, the SIG bought the Blaser. Then acquired Styer and Sauer ( the Sauer reciever design is basically SIG) or the other way around. One of the reason why I bought the Swiss rifle which is the SHR was I wanted to know how good they performed in the field, also how they were engineered. Now that I had expereinced with a german made rig, I want to try another quick switch barrel rifle, the Blaser R93 or R95. This one is amazing that one bolt could accomodate most of the cartridges. Its getting too complicated because there were a bunch of acquisitions since I got interest with their Rigs. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2002
  10. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

The Sig-Steyr connection seems to be a red herring. I have done pretty extensive internet searches of Sig and Steyr and can find no connection between the two companies. The SHR does seem to made by Sig in Switzerland. Steyr rifles do not resemble Sigs. Sig did buy Blaser, Mauser, Sauer, Hammerli, and several other companies, but Steyr does not seem to be among them.

11. Klaus,
    You are probably right, but anyway I'll do some research about SIG and others and keep you update soon. Thanks for your replies.
    SBee.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2002