Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Super Moderator
14,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As something of a prep for lean times when I'm looking for ammo, I own a 380 (Beretta 85), a lot of 9mm, a 40S&W (G22), a 45acp (Essex/Colt 1911) and am interested in owning a 10mm! The problem with the 10 is, I have small hands and the only one I've held is the Glock 20SF. Now this one is supposed to be smaller/sleeker for us small handed people, but...it's not. I know there are a lot of manufacturers who make them, to include: Smith, Tangfolio, Desert Eagle, Dan Wesson, Ruger, Glock, Rock Island, Springfield and Colt....just to name, well, ALL of them.

I would like to steer clear of the 1911 platform as I'm not a fan, and haven't met a Springfield or Smith pistol that I've liked. Do any of you have experience with any of the other brands or know of any I'm missing?

I just don't know why no one will make smaller gripped 10mm and 45acp pistols, even if they have to go with the single stack like the 1911 that I try and avoid?

· Registered
9,228 Posts
Check out the post by K775RT (see link above) that might be a smaller pistol. The article also mentioned if you reload, you can load it to 40 S&W +P loads. I had not considered that. The other thing I know for sure is right now Large Pistol Primers are hard to come by. One of my church members has a 10mm and it has sat on the shelf for a long time waiting for primers. I know some manufacturers make some brass that take a Small Pistol Primer and it might be wise to get the components you need. Just a thought.

· Registered
385 Posts
Check out the post by K775RT (see link above) that might be a smaller pistol. The article also mentioned if you reload, you can load it to 40 S&W +P loads. I had not considered that. The other thing I know for sure is right now Large Pistol Primers are hard to come by. One of my church members has a 10mm and it has sat on the shelf for a long time waiting for primers. I know some manufacturers make some brass that take a Small Pistol Primer and it might be wise to get the components you need. Just a thought.
I can understand not liking how a certain gun feels in your hand. I don't have big hands but no gun I have ever held has ever felt as good and natural in my hand as a 1911. I have tried holding the big Smith and Wesson wheel guns. Now 'those' are too big for me. To even reach the trigger I have to scrunch my hand up all the way to the top of the grip. If I ever actually tried to fire one that way it would probably flip of my hand and smack me right between the eyes.

· Registered
1,735 Posts
This thread reminds me of a friend from long ago. He wanted to have firearms in every caliber, that way when SHTF, if he found ammo, he would have a firearm that could shoot it. I explained my position, that he would not be finding ammo without guns, he would be finding guns without ammo, and he would be better off stocking up on more ammo for the stuff that he already owns.

· Registered
373 Posts
I think of it this way. A .357 revolver is a good SHTF gun. With reloading and casting equipment, you can shoot .38 or .357 loads through it. You can disassemble the components from a 9mm through it. Or you can cast your own bullets and shoot those through it. And last, you can even make glue gun bullets and shoot small game with that. A 10mm is probably the second most versatile handgun cartridge because you can shoot a .40 through it but, the Glock G20 is made for medium to large hands. Comparing a recoil of a 40 to a 10mm is llke comparing a .38 to a .357. You will notice it. Maybe there are 10mm Autos with smaller grips but I don't know of them. This is all I know from my experience.

· Registered
12,716 Posts
hard to make smaller grips for a gun that takes a longer cartridge.
there's this thing called physics and your not gonna win that game.

the only way around it is to separate the grips away from the cartridge holding portion of the gun.
smiff and western used to make a 10mm revolver.

· Registered
1,575 Posts
The 1911 platforms tend to have the smallest grips, but since you don't care for them....

I have tried the Glock, and the grips are huge. No idea what they're thinking lol.

I currently carry a springfield xdm in 10mm, and find those grips more manageable. I have also used an eaa witness in 10mm and those grips were ok.

As an aside. The softest shooting 10mm I ever shot was a RIA 1911. The eaa, even though it was completely metal was actually snappier than I expected. The xdm's have been snappy but manageable.

· Registered
MSR Shooter and Builder, Precision Bolt Action Rim & Center Fire enthusiast. Glock & 1911 pistoleer
8,515 Posts
Only thing fairly trim and that I had any experience was the S&W 1006 but that's been long gone.

And my perspective is clouded having fairly big XL hands

· Registered
1,735 Posts
Roger made some pretty nice convertible Blackhawks, a .357 with a 9mm additional cylinder gives you .38, .357 mag, and 9mm. One in .45 Colt with a .45acp cylinder, a Super Blackhawk adds .44mag and .44 special, and a Single Six with the 22 mag cylinder gives you 4 revolvers that can chamber 9 different cartridges. I seem to remember a 10mm Redhawk too.

· Premium Member
5,031 Posts
This thread reminds me of a friend from long ago. He wanted to have firearms in every caliber, that way when SHTF, if he found ammo, he would have a firearm that could shoot it. I explained my position, that he would not be finding ammo without guns, he would be finding guns without ammo, and he would be better off stocking up on more ammo for the stuff that he already owns.

Yep, the 500 dollar minimum you would spend on a reliable 10mm can buy a lot of ammo in more common calibers

· Registered
1,239 Posts
As something of a prep for lean times when I'm looking for ammo, I own a 380 (Beretta 85), a lot of 9mm, a 40S&W (G22), a 45acp (Essex/Colt 1911) and am interested in owning a 10mm! The problem with the 10 is, I have small hands and the only one I've held is the Glock 20SF. Now this one is supposed to be smaller/sleeker for us small handed people, but...it's not. I know there are a lot of manufacturers who make them, to include: Smith, Tangfolio, Desert Eagle, Dan Wesson, Ruger, Glock, Rock Island, Springfield and Colt....just to name, well, ALL of them.

I would like to steer clear of the 1911 platform as I'm not a fan, and haven't met a Springfield or Smith pistol that I've liked. Do any of you have experience with any of the other brands or know of any I'm missing?

I just don't know why no one will make smaller gripped 10mm and 45acp pistols, even if they have to go with the single stack like the 1911 that I try and avoid?
The market for the 10mm is limited. Jeff Cooper told us old law enforcement guys that it was the perfect round for shooting people that needed to be shot. But that was short lived, in a very short time FBI agents proved him to be badly wrong, it may be perfect for shooting folks but not for law enforcement officers. A few hung on, but no major outfit cares that much for it.

The second need was for animal defense, a few early cases showed it did pretty good on bears, but cases like the one in Raton, New Mexico suggested it was not always perfect and very ammo dependent, only 200 grain bullets and lots of them. Despite the fact that very few folks live to fire more than a dozen rounds, everyone want 15 or 20 when in bear country.

Ruger then put them in the Blackhawk with a 40 SW cylinder also, folks kind of like the idea, but a hot 357 would do the same and all the big guys from 41 mag up were much better, so it is a cool niche round.

Just not much demand for a little gun, and if it was going to be a carry gun, then it needed lots and lots of ammo, like all carry guns. Just not much demand for a small one. They do make the small CZ copies with short barrels but they are all double stack and being small kick a lot.

Just saying, just about any 357 can equal them in horsepower and 41 can pass them by, so they do not get a lot of market share.

· Registered
373 Posts
The market for the 10mm is limited. Jeff Cooper told us old law enforcement guys that it was the perfect round for shooting people that needed to be shot. But that was short lived, in a very short time FBI agents proved him to be badly wrong, it was not perfect for law enforcment folks
A .357 Sig barrel dropped into a 40 can work. It's almost like having a semi-auto 357-125jhp load.

· Registered
385 Posts
The market for the 10mm is limited. Jeff Cooper told us old law enforcement guys that it was the perfect round for shooting people that needed to be shot. But that was short lived, in a very short time FBI agents proved him to be badly wrong, it may be perfect for shooting folks but not for law enforcement officers. A few hung on, but no major outfit cares that much for it.

The second need was for animal defense, a few early cases showed it did pretty good on bears, but cases like the one in Raton, New Mexico suggested it was not always perfect and very ammo dependent, only 200 grain bullets and lots of them. Despite the fact that very few folks live to fire more than a dozen rounds, everyone want 15 or 20 when in bear country.

Ruger then put them in the Blackhawk with a 40 SW cylinder also, folks kind of like the idea, but a hot 357 would do the same and all the big guys from 41 mag up were much better, so it is a cool niche round.

Just not much demand for a little gun, and if it was going to be a carry gun, then it needed lots and lots of ammo, like all carry guns. Just not much demand for a small one. They do make the small CZ copies with short barrels but they are all double stack and being small kick a lot.

Just saying, just about any 357 can equal them in horsepower and 41 can pass them by, so they do not get a lot of market share.
I have a friend who just retired as a corrections officer. Early on in his career they had to provide their own weapons. He purchased a relatively cheap 38 wheel gun but kept going on about the 10mm. That went on for a year or better then just stopped. A few years later the department started issuing weapons and he sold his 38 and gave me all of the ammo.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts