Gun and Game Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
The book "One Second After" should be required reading for anyone even thinking about prepping.
Between an EMP, solar flare CME, cyber attack or just a dozen or so well placed physical attacks on the grid, long term power outage is out of the realm of possible and into the realm of probable. Add in a war and then you can bet your last dollar on it.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
What are the chances of a EMP?
There is much more chance of a terrorists to take out substations & totally shut down all electricity in the us.
They say it would take as little as 9 substations knocked out to totally shut the US down.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Climates change, but climate change is a total hoax. They want to use it to control us. That will be four carbon credits please. I try to keep it to myself, but a kindred spirit what pays attention is hard to not acknowledge.
Who knows what to believe? When i was a child in the 1970's the school teachers would tell us that an "Ice Age" was coming. Nothing like having little children scared that they will freeze to death. I didn't believe that then, now they are teaching Global warming...C'mon man!

·
Registered
8,517 Posts
Climate Change is how Liberals distribute wealth...regular people and companies donate money and the Non-Profits smile the give it to politicians and their well off associates.
I also know the climate change experts have a horrible track record then say this is all a new science...if that is the case they need to just shut up and sit down.

Scientist still can't wrap their heads around this recent massive underwater volcanic explosion.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
36,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
What are the chances of a EMP?
There is much more chance of a terrorists to take out substations & totally shut down all electricity in the us.
They say it would take as little as 9 substations knocked out to totally shut the US down.

I'm old enough to remember the Great Northeast Blackout of 1965. Mom and I were eating dinner at the local Friendlys after my weekly piano lesson when the lights went out. Everyone in the restaurant thought it was a local outage until the manager came out of the kitchen where the staff was listening to a big portable radio and announced that it was a major blackout affecting the entire Northeast and two Canadian provinces; that the power company had no idea what had happened; and no idea how long it would be before we got power back. He then offered everyone in the restaurant all the ice cream they could eat, for free, because it was going to melt anyway and they might as well get some good out of it.

I didn't understand what had happened until many years later, when PBS aired the James Burke documentary series, Connections. Episode 1, "The Trigger Effect" opens with the 1965 blackout in New York City. Burke showed how one automatic switch tripping at the Adam Beck Generating Station II power station on the Canadian side of the Niagara River miles above Niagara Falls resulted in a chain of cascading failures which caused other power plants and distribution stations to trip out in turn to cause the blackout. One lousy little switch tripped out, and millions of people lost power for 12 hours or more until the system could be traced back and reset.

The North American power grid has been enhanced and expanded, and analog controls have been replaced by digital controls, but from what I can tell it's even more vulnerable today thanks to computerization than it was in 1965, when switches had to be manually thrown at control stations and power distribution stations. Montgomery Scott clearly pointed out the problem with this sort of thing in Star Trek III: The Search for Spock: "The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain." And when it comes to the North American power grid, the drain is easier to stop up than ever.

·
Registered
620 Posts
..I didn't understand what had happened until many years later, when PBS aired the James Burke documentary series, Connections. Episode 1, "The Trigger Effect"...
I LOVED that show! Didn't miss an episode. Still have the book.

Reactions: neophyte

·
Registered
22,879 Posts
If the whole grid went down, it would kill my business, but it would also kill the bill collector's business...soooo.

On the homefront, we'd barely register a change. No TV, and my son might go through technology withdrawal, but we have a propane-powered kitchen on the screen porch, a basement that never gets above 73 degrees, and plenty of dry goods, good neighbors, and ammo for the bad ones.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Remember that outage in Ohio, Michigan, Canada about a dozen years back? Didn’t take much to kill power for a few days to a big swath of customers.
As I recall that happened during one of Davis Besse Nuclear Power Station's prolonged shutdowns. The grid was already strained. Oddly, Ohio Edison claimed they were getting power all the way from Detroit to compensate for that.

·
Registered
8,517 Posts
As long as I have some gas and can run the generator for a couple of hours each day, life will go on. I converted the range to natural gas a few years back so we can cook. Baking would be a problem because it has electronic controls for the oven. Charging cell phones is not a problem as we have those emergency battery packs (to start cars) that have USB ports. I also bought a converter that we can hook to a battery and it will produce a stable 115vac 400 watts output. Just keep the basics going. The fridges (2 ea) and freezers (2 ea) keep everything fine with a 2 hour per day run. I'm limited to 3500 watts generation capacity so I do have to watch what I plug in.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts