close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Shuff's Parkerizing

Discussion in 'M1 Garand' started by coolsax01, Mar 15, 2014.

1. coolsax01

coolsax01 G&G Addict

Hey all!

I just want to send a shout out to Tim Shufflin, owner of Shuff's Parkerizing, who specializes in all things Garand. I called him to see if I could bring him some stocks for cartouching, and he told me "no problem...come on out". Visiting his little shop revealed Mr. Shufflin to be a master craftsman who is passionate about his work, the M1 rifle, and shooting in general. He is very knowledgable about the M1 rifle, its functioning, and its history. Although I only needed some cartouching done on 4 rifle stocks, he took great care to make sure the cartouches came out clean, crisp, and will take stain well. He had my stocks done and I was back on my way in about 20 minutes. As soon as I have the stocks finished I will be happy to post pics. Anyway, since I found out about him on this forum, I tought I'd send him a shout out, and to tell the rest of you who may not have heard about him. Check him out at Shuff's Parkerizing and Military Restorations.

2. rondog

rondog G&G Evangelist

I've heard many great things about his work and services. I take it you live close enough to just mosey on by? Must be nice!

I'm fortunate that there's a guy here in Denver that does milsurp work, he reparked and reblued my M1, and it came out awesome. Did the DuPage replacement stock myself, wouldn't mind having the cartouches stamped in it though.

3. Orlando

Orlando G&G Evangelist

Ohio
    I know Tim well and he has done alot of work for me in the past
    I do not agree with humping stocks with fake cartouches but otherwise he does great rifle builds, parkerizing at the best prices

oldjarhead likes this.
  4. coolsax01

coolsax01 G&G Addict

Sorry Orlando...I did not mean to offend...I am simply interested in restoring my garands cosmetically to what they would have looked like so long ago. I am not planning on selling them (if I need cash that bad, I'll sell blood first!), and would NEVER try to pass them off as the real thing. I simply wanted to call attention to a hardworking, small-business owner who is passionate about his craft and does great work at reasonable prices.

jwrauch likes this.
  5. Orlando

Orlando G&G Evangelist

Ohio
    You arent offending me I just think its wrong.
    You may not try and pass it off but someday ,someone will
    Real stocks are out there ,I see no sense in fakes. If someone cant afford the real thing then they should do without.
    I am in no way attacking you, this is just my opinion
    Good shooting to you

6. Stock Doc

Stock Doc G&G Evangelist

Absolutely correct. If I had a dollar for the times I heard " I had them stamped for me and they are going no where" I would be rich. I have been in this business mostly stocks and seen many die or sell their humped stocks for reason especially not being able to live with it or finally getting a real one. Even the CMP had them on rifles when they allowed folks to swap while working there. That caused many problems. Rick B

[​IMG]

7. I have visited Shuff's several times and directly watched Tim work. He really knows what he is doing and will give you a superior product. He turned my M1D from a non-functional "display" gun into a functional tack driver. And you should see my .308 magazine fed conversion.

8. Jay

Jay Old man, No tact... Staff Member

Many folks got out of collecting the Garands, and carbines due to fake cartouches... including me. Stocks that are not original should be readily identified as such. Folks that fail to visibly ID non-original stocks have ethics problems that would prohibit me from patronizing them.

870shooter1 and jwrauch like this.
  9. mack310

mack310 G&G Regular

I am afraid I have to agree that putting fake marks on stocks ruin the whole rifle. Collectors of any merit will simply avoid such a rifle and discount a phony stock to include the metal as well.

I learned many moons ago that the metal is what should be correct first and then search out a stock that corresponds to the metal as far as time period, finish, etc.

That phony stock mark will eventually enter the market and create disappointment for some beginning collector somewhere. A person should have some commitment and dedication to his hobby to maintain his items in the highest possible order. I don't own many cartouched stocks but a couple have come to some of my rifles and I am rightly proud of them.

If you think wood fakes are bad, the worst is faked metal parts. You can practically reconstruct almost any Garand or carbine with the wealth of fake metal on the market. Some of it is very good and will never be detected once it is in place except for the experienced collectors revealing its existence.

10. Jay

11. coolsax01

coolsax01 G&G Addict

I thought the fact that the inside of my stock says Boyd's Stocks is a dead giveaway as to it's status as a reproduction. It also led me to not take the time to have him burn the inside of the stock identifying it as a reproduction. This is obviously a very sensitive issue for everybody...more than I ever would have guessed...people fix classic cars with aftermarket and modern parts because it's what they have access to. I did the same. My thoughts are that as a field grade mixmaster rifle, there really is no collector value in the rifle past what I paid for it. Also, I'm not a collector...I intend to shoot the bejeezus out of my rifle, and the stock it came with was not serviceable...nothing matched, and the upper and forward handguards didn't seem that they would survive being fired repeatedly. If all of that's the case, the rifle might as well look pretty. Don't let the fact that I did something you disagree with and am forthright and honest about it (ethics problems indeed) cause you to overlook the intent of the post...that in the days of master gunsmiths getting harder and harder to find, this guy does great work at a reasonable price.

Dookiebutt likes this.
  12. Jay

Well sir, re-reading this thread, this is the first I've seen of your stocks being identified as a reproduction. I have no problem with that. There are folks out there that do not share your ethics. I've heard of folks that beat stocks with chains to create "character". As I said earlier, if a re-marked stock is readily identified as such, I have no issues with re-marking it. I have a M1 Garand that is 100% original USGI with all Springfield parts, except for the stock. The stock was replaced by a CMP stock, and bears the CMP cartouche.

I see a difference in "an original part", and a repro part that looks just like the original. :usa:

No offense or aspersions, or accusations intended.