close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Sidearm advise for a female

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Logansdad, Jun 24, 2002.

1. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

Let's say you have a mother, sister, cousin or daughter who expresses an interest in acquiring a defensive concealed carry sidearm :nod: it happens...
    What would you want them to get ? Why ? :eek: :nod: :fuss: :nod:

2. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Taurus model 85 .38 snub with ported barrel, finish their choice but i prefer polished stainless. Easier to take care of for a beginner.

3. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    close to same as above, Taurus 85CH, no weight reduction but a smooting on the trigger. Robar NP3 finish

If she wants to be extremely dedicated a compact 9 or 380 may be good. Something W/O a bunch of bells & whistles, compact Glocks come to mind.

Ruger has a nice sp101 in 9mm, nice package & the 9 is a bit less recoil intensive in the revolver than the .38's

4. NRAJOE

My wife always has a pair of 38's on her...heh..heh..heh :kinky:

5. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

My wife read that NRAJOE...she said that was tacky...true story. Sorry, no offense intended and on to other subjects.
    If your wife has a sidearm what is it ?
    My wife has a Glock 26 9mm...Loaded with Federal Hydra Shoks

6. Well it is humor among men now isn't it. My wife thought it was funny. A very long nail file.

7. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

My wife thought it was funny and very tacky....I apologized...I also want this subject to be taken seriously because nowadays with stalkers & serial rapists & killers, carjackers & roadrage...women are buying guns to protect themselves...they need good guidance

8. Logansdad I made my reply in a joking matter, but I do agree the women folk need to protect themselves. I feel for the bad guy that confronts her --She shoots as well as I do.

9. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

I know women who carry .45s & .357s but they... are kinda rare...Like "Peaches" a Marine Corps armorer who chased a mugger around Atlanta's Subway system downtown...course then "Peaches" carried a Smith & Wesson .357 Magnum

10. jarcp

jarcp G&G Newbie

To be honest, My wife finds the recoil on a 9mm automatic to be "too much". She however love the heck out of her S/W .357 Mag. And she's great with it. She however flat out refuses to carry concealed. If I were to ever reccomend one to someone, I think I'd go with a 2" snubbie chambered in .357, using .38's for target practice, and 158g .357 Hydra-Shok's for carry.

11. For an inexpensive, yet highly reliable weapon, I would recommend a Mak 9X18.

It's small enough, and light enough, to be easily carried by most females. It's fairly uncomplicated to operate (I see remembering to cock the hammer the most confusing to newbies).

And, most importantly, it is very, very accurate.

My next choice would be a 9MM CZ in a cadet size.

12. My girlfriend carries a Colt gov't pocketlite .380. Its light, reliable and accurate.

13. NRAJOE

Thank you Alan,there are some people who have to be gravely serious all the time. Me I like to laugh and make jokes I already posted a serious reply so I decided to crack wise and give someone some laughs and will continue to do so. I refuse to succumb to the liberal P.C. virus called "stick in the muditis" Sorry I offend some but I seem to make more laugh so there ya go...nuff said?

14. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

facts
    #1 this post catered to women (I think that was in the title)
    #2 a sexist joke at their expense is not going to reflect on us favorably
    #3 the fastest growing segment of firearms owners are women
    #4 the future of our sport/hobby/pass time may well rest in their hands
    I would like to add that Road Rage & Stalkers (and other predators) are very real concerns for modern females.

15. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

A Bulgie Mak or good quality .380. The Makarovs are cheap, dependable, reasonably powerful, DA, fit smaller hands, and have many options. You should not go any smaller than a .380. The female in question also needs training in shooting, safety, and care and feeding of the pistol. And encouragement and support.

16. NRAJOE

I'm a joker, i'm a smoker, i'm a midnight toker... - Steve Miller Band :joker:

17. Ahhh... the good old days. Well some of them.:cool:

18. NRAJOE

Yeah brother... :right:

19. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

A good stainless steel revolver or a Glock

20. I got a Glock at the bottom of my Cracker Jack box once. Sure wish I hadn't thrown it away now.