Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hmm Yes I know this is one of those long debated questions but the search function doesnt really work for me.

I wanted to add in a few stipulations though.

But .380ACP vs a .38 Special as a back up gun? Let me rephrase that.
A longer barreled high quality .380 vs a .38 snubby.

When people consider this, they often factor in things like reliability in performance, and ballistics that may be associated with barrel length, reloading factors, etc But it also see that when ever this question is asked people compare a high quality .38 to lot of cheap .380s.

That being said,

But if you where to compare that same .38 snubbie revolver to something more along the lines of a modern designed longer barreled high quality .380 like a Sig 232. I would think that (considering all the positive reviews Ive read on the sig and my very positive personal expirience with the company) that a lot of the "reliability" problems would be minimized. Sure a revolver is always more reliable than an auto, but if you have a good quality, well maintained auto I dont think there would be any difference between a good quality small auto vs a bigger one?

Also considering this to be a back up gun, I also think this plays into the reload ability factor either. In my case it would be eliminated.

I know some CCW holders can/will carry 2 or 3 or even 4 guns on them and/or lights/ knives, spare ammo etc.

If you have the space, ability, size, or convenience of being able to do that all the more power too you. But for some of the smaller people in here like myself, that just isn't practical or feasible as much a I would like to walk around with my Remington 870 in some of the places I have to travel through.

Being a back up gun secondary to the primary one im already carrying a bigger primary gun in a more appreciable defensive caliber ie .40SW or higher... probably higher:burnout: plus at least one spare mag.

I can realistically tell you I probably wouldn't be carrying a reload for a secondary gun due to space. If i cant get through a defensive shooting (save myself or someone else and get out of town to safety) with the first gun, a reload and then a back up I
A. (judged by 12 or carried by 6 way of thinking aside.)Would have a hard time legally justifying why Im still there shooting.
B. Think that by then there are probably other factors in play thus screwing me by that point anyways.

Im sure that a few of you all have considered this question yourself at one point in time. Which way did you all go?

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
20,665 Posts
I don't usually carry BUG. If I did it would be a snubby revolver. Carry snubbies as primary CCW quite a bit. Snubbies have been always reliable, but my Sig's proven very reliable as well. I'd always opt for the .38 special or up vice .380 if I needed BUG or primary. I believe .380 to be underpowered round for self defense unless your circumstances force you to carry it. .38 or .44 snubby (bulldog) when loaded with high performance ammo will outperform the .380.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
I don't carry a BUG. I can and do carry 3 additional mags. for my primary weapon in less space than a BUG would take.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
I have to agree with Windwalker, why carry a back up just carry extra magazines.

How many rounds "more" does the magazine's hold verse's the 1 revolver ?

If you loose your semi-auto in a close altercation then all the magazines in the world want save you, but I personaly would like to have the extra fire power to lay down in case I have to back out (Run).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts