Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chance to buy a Sig 220 or a Colt Combat commander for the same price. Both pistols are in excellent used condition. I have several 1911a, but no Commander size. Purpose of the pistol would be CCW if they prove to be reliable, and range time. I also have a Sig P6 that a nail driver.

If the choice were yours which would you choose, and why.

Thanks in advance

Doc

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
20,686 Posts
Love my sig 220--great shooter. Been completely reliable with a little over 500 rds thru it. Accuracy and balance outstanding. Seems to fit and point very well. I'm a revolver kind of guy, but with a few more rounds thru it probably be converted to the SIG for alot of the CCW. That's what I'd choose for CCW role.

Not making the Combat Commanders anymore, so that might be tough to pass up (from a have one standpoint). Guess you can't get both ? That's the only factor that would drive me to the Combat Commander.

·
Registered
322 Posts
The Sigs are nice and I am not going to bad mouth them. But, Colt tops them all. For concealed carry between these two choices, it is a non-issue. The only thing you are giving up is Double action. Carry it cocked and locked and you will find it is faster. The Colt is slimmer and more accurate and much more.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I've owned two Combat Commanders, loved them. Just the *kewl* name Colt gave them is reason enough to own one. The 3/4" shorter barrel than the gov't model makes them feel great in the hand and easy to point. It's a shame they don't make them anymore.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have a commander and love it. I don't have any experience with the sig. Iv'e heard and read good stuff about them. TXplt has the right idea, buy em both.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'd also go with the Sig. My 28 year old Sig P6 will shoot just as well as my buddies colt commander. I would think the 220 will do just the same. Both guns are time tested designs, Im just more of a fan sigs :)

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went back to the gun shop and looked both pistols over carefully. The Colt did have an "idiot scratch" near the slide stop, whereas the Sig was LNIB. However, due to the fact I have several 1911 style in my modest collection I chose the Colt. After some range evaluation I may or may not make some changes, i.e., match bbl, better trigger. We'll see how well the pistol shoots out of the box.
Thanks for your comments.

Doc

·
Registered
899 Posts
When I compared the two back when I was in the market for a CCW pistol, I prefered the Sig over the Colt in a big way. I bought something else entirely though.

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
20,686 Posts
Enjoy the new pistol !!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts