sig p-220 spring

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by ananab, Mar 22, 2002.

1. ananab

ananab G&G Newbie

i have a p-220 and i love it. i recently started shooting reloads and have had feeding problems. i have never had any problems with factory ammo, but i'm still not sure where th problem lies. i have been making the rounds on the light side (800-900 f.p.s.) and i was wondering if it's too light for the spring. does anyone know what the spring wieght is and if there are beefier / lighter aftermarket springs out there (i bought it used). i've checked the ammo to make sure it's the right dimensions, now i'm trying to figure out if it's too weak too action properly.

2. AJY

AJY G&G Newbie

Are you use the same type of bullets,ie FMJ round nose or are you trying a truncated or severe hollow point, if so it could be in the feed ramp. If not, try Wolff Springs, not sure of website address (any search engine will find it). They'll be able to tell you standard spring strength and sell you both stronger and weaker springs.

3. ananab

ananab G&G Newbie

the first batch we made was 185 gr. truncated flat nose, and we'd havea problem at least one out of ten. the next batch was 200 gr. round nose, same thing. one of the guys at the range noticed that the spring seemed kind of heavy. i checked out the feed ramp but it didn't look out of the ordinary.

4. ananab, Sig has used two recoil spring weights in the P-220. From start of production to serial number 219166, Sig used a 15 pound recoil spring. Guns produced after S/N 219166 use a 20 pound recoil spring, and these are painted with a green paint so you can tell the difference. They also increased the hammer spring poundage 2 lbs at the same time. If you're having trouble with your reloads, you can buy a reduced power recoil spring through Wolff spring to tailor the gun to your reloads. Hope this helps,

5. the 1st reloads I tried with my p220 had a minimum powder charge & would not cycle the slide, so increased the powder on the next batch with no malfunctions as with any factory loads i've used.

6. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

I use cast rounds all the time around 850fps and they function the gun just fine. Don thanks for the info on the recoil spring I learned something new about the spring. Now do you by chance know the weight of the replacement spring that comes with the Lasermax guidepost I have one of those currently in the gun it functions fine but I always like these little details

7. Shaun, Sorry, I don't know about that one. I think you're going to have to check with Lasermax.

8. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

9. ananab

ananab G&G Newbie

thank you don. i was really starting to freak out, i thought something was wrong with my sig (yeah right). we actually just made a batch of reloads with a higher velocity and had virtually no feed problems whatsoever. i appreciate your help, i'm going to check out wolff springs and pick up a spring today. thanks again.

10. Glad I could help. By the way Shaun, where did you get the animation of me working at my computer?

11. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

I found it on a website years ago and loved it then so I kept it