close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

sig p228?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by ananab, Apr 28, 2002.

1. ananab

ananab G&G Newbie

i have a sig p220, and of course i love it. i am now looking to add a 9mm to my collection and will probably go with a sig. i looked on the sigarms website and found no info at all on the p228. i know the 229 is the smaller version of the 226, but what is the 228? i know i have seen them at gun stores before, but they seem to have vanished. anyone?

2. Jesse

Jesse G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

The 228 is a smaller version of the 226, developed for the US military (plainclothes/undercover) MP personnel. It takes the 226 mags with no problem and is known in the military as the M-11. The Sig 229's frame is made overseas and its slide is made here in the US, milled from stainless steel and painted black with some sort of molycoat. The Sig 229 was the first Sig Sauer pistol to utilize this design, breaking away from the traditional three piece slide manufacture. The Sig 229 also offers calibers in .40S&W and .357 Sig... in addition to 9mm. I do not think the 228 is offered in any other caliber than 9mm.

Hope this helps...

Jesse

3. ananab

ananab G&G Newbie

thanks jesse. i actually got to see a 228 and 229 side by side today (pure luck that a guy happened to have one) and the 229 looks a little beefier than the 228. i think i'm going to go with the 228. i'm also glad to know thet it will accept the 226 mags. thanks again!

4. AJY

AJY G&G Newbie

The 228 was built for 9mm, when Sig decided to offer a .40 caliber they came out with the 229, a slightly modified 228 with the slide made seperate, over seas,as Jesse stated. The 228 is still in production but Sig now claims to market it only to Law enforcement and military (M11). There are plenty of new 228's still in the pipeline though and are easy to find. I'm on my second 228. Ive been using them as on duty carry guns for over 10 years. I traded my first one in last year on a new one after firing over 12,000 rounds through it without problems, other than the lousy statndard finish. (doesnt stand up well to the holster wear). I also carry 226 mags as my spare mags.

5. Torando

Torando G&G Newbie

p228 clone

a company in vancouver Canada makes p228 clones called DAC 394. they sell as a parts kit and an 80% finished reciever wich requires some machining. Has anyone had any experience or herd of anyone sucsesfully building one of these guns? any tips?:target:

6. Jesse

Jesse G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

Nah, I would probably just look for a used 228. The 226 mags fit them.