Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I ordered a SIG P6 from centerfiresystems back in January, it arrived at my FFL on Saturday. I am happy with it, it is about 97% some blue wear but mechanically it is excellent. Here are a couple of pics.. These fine arms sell for $269 + S&H

·
Registered
20 Posts
I love mine. Yes the P6/ P225 is a great carry gun. Just watch them with +P ammo, they generaly don't feed well with it as the recoil spring was not made to handle that kind of pressure. I load mine with either the Speer 124gr Gold Dot, or Federal's Personal Defense Expanding Full Metal Jacket 105gr. Mine likes the Federal EFMJ the best in accuracy terms, but both feed perfectly.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
I've owned two Sig P229's over the past 10 or so years... and with all ammo, have been great, accurate , reliable sidearms. It is simple... Sig's are a great buy....

·
Registered
352 Posts
I love mine. Yes the P6/ P225 is a great carry gun. Just watch them with +P ammo, they generaly don't feed well with it as the recoil spring was not made to handle that kind of pressure. I load mine with either the Speer 124gr Gold Dot, or Federal's Personal Defense Expanding Full Metal Jacket 105gr. Mine likes the Federal EFMJ the best in accuracy terms, but both feed perfectly.
This is really not true. The P6 can handle +P loads, its that the feed ramp on the older barrels have a 42* slant, newer (made from 92 and up) have a 45* slant that feed the wider hollow points such as Hydrashocks with no problems. You can have your feed ramp machined by Sig Service center or some other machinist. I will dig up the info Sig emailed about this, but in the case of +Ps you are safe. This is the exact same gun as the P225. By the way I picked mine up from Centerfire last week, and it is on its way to the Sig Service Center for new night sights and springs. Mine was made in 6/82.

·
Registered
20 Posts
This is really not true. The P6 can handle +P loads, its that the feed ramp on the older barrels have a 42* slant, newer (made from 92 and up) have a 45* slant that feed the wider hollow points such as Hydrashocks with no problems. You can have your feed ramp machined by Sig Service center or some other machinist. I will dig up the info Sig emailed about this, but in the case of +Ps you are safe. This is the exact same gun as the P225. By the way I picked mine up from Centerfire last week, and it is on its way to the Sig Service Center for new night sights and springs. Mine was made in 6/82.
I am qouting Massad Ayoob in "Gun Digest Book of Sig Sauer" Page 30 Paraphrasing That some P225/ P6's when loaded with high velocity ammo, (+p) ...."the pistol would occasionaly fail to pick up a round." "What apparently was happening was that the powerful round was driving the short, light slide back so fast, ....." Basicly the slide on some when loaded with +P ammo will move faster than it was desighned for and fail to strip a new round out of the mag.
Now I am not saying that you can't use +p I was simply passing on a warning from an expert in the feild. It also happens that my P6 (made 9/79) is one of the guns that this happens to. However it is a very simple problem to solve, try to shoot a couple boxes of +P ammo through your gun, if it works, Great! If not then you know and you can find a differant load. Of course you sould always shoot the load you plan on carrying in the gun, so you know if it works, hits, etc.
Most people will tell you that revolvers won't jam, however i once bought a new one, along with a few boxes of ammo that I use for defense in that caliber. The very first round fired fine, then locked up the gun. I check everything, so I trying it later same gun, same ammo, nada. Now that same load shoots great in my other four .357's. But if I had not tested it I would be the only gun walking around with a single shot .357.
So moral of the story is test it before you trust your life to it. Now that I don't shoot +p in my P6 I know that when I pull the trigger it will go bang,and keep going bang!

·
Registered
352 Posts
I am qouting Massad Ayoob in "Gun Digest Book of Sig Sauer" Page 30 Paraphrasing That some P225/ P6's when loaded with high velocity ammo, (+p) ...."the pistol would occasionaly fail to pick up a round." "What apparently was happening was that the powerful round was driving the short, light slide back so fast, ....." Basicly the slide on some when loaded with +P ammo will move faster than it was desighned for and fail to strip a new round out of the mag.
Now I am not saying that you can't use +p I was simply passing on a warning from an expert in the feild. It also happens that my P6 (made 9/79) is one of the guns that this happens to. However it is a very simple problem to solve, try to shoot a couple boxes of +P ammo through your gun, if it works, Great! If not then you know and you can find a differant load. Of course you sould always shoot the load you plan on carrying in the gun, so you know if it works, hits, etc.
Most people will tell you that revolvers won't jam, however i once bought a new one, along with a few boxes of ammo that I use for defense in that caliber. The very first round fired fine, then locked up the gun. I check everything, so I trying it later same gun, same ammo, nada. Now that same load shoots great in my other four .357's. But if I had not tested it I would be the only gun walking around with a single shot .357.
So moral of the story is test it before you trust your life to it. Now that I don't shoot +p in my P6 I know that when I pull the trigger it will go bang,and keep going bang!
I understand, not trying to rattle cages, but the improvement to the feeding ramp fixed that problem. The recoil spring used in the P6/P225 is the same used in the P220/228 and some others. The reply I got from the smiths at Sig was that the feeding ramp design was what led to this. I will forward the e-mail shortly.

Dear Mr. Parrish,
We checked our drawings and found out that we change the angle of the barrel ramp on the 14th of June 1989 from 52 degrees to 54 degrees.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
With best regards,

Ralf Vanicek
Produktmanager SIG SAUER Sorry, I was wrong on the original degree in my earlier post, but here is the written reply to the degree of the feed ramp. This subject has been on many other forum post and really this has solved the overall problem with feeding wide-mouth +P hollow points. Sorry if I rubbed you the wrong way, I was just trying to help with the situation. Many people now enjoy error free shooting of these rounds after the fix of the feed ramp.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Is the Sig Sauer P225/P6 in 9mm a good CCW pistol?
Are these a good carry ?? . . . OMG they're theeeeeee best. They tuck in nice and close to your body, they're very accurate, they're light in weight & the 225 a/k/a the P-6 is no longer too expensive. With my Comp-Tac
Pro Undercover Holster it's my carry.

Put all the +P through it you want. Feeding problems are due to the ramp angle and design. The ramp needs some adjustment so +P feeds the cartridge in smoothly. This is NOT a pressure problem but it is a ramp angle problem that can be taken care of by a gunsmith.

Have fun . . . ! :)

"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism." Thomas Sowell

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
20,657 Posts
Sigs Great guns--love my 220 so far. 100% reliability so far. Maybe a tad heavy for Texas summer ccw, but worth the weight.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just purchased a SIG P6 (P225) today. It's a used German issue with a little holster wear. I haven't shot it yet but if it's anything like the other SIG's I've shot in the past I'm sure it will be fantastic. Picked it up for $300 plus tax at a local dealer who had it for a while. About 8 years ago a shooting buddy let me shoot his P229 chambered in .357 SIG and I was hooked! Unfortunately at that time I couldn't find one in my area and bought a Glock 31 instead. Since then I also purchased a Glock 19. When I got home tonight I sat down behind my Dillon 550 and started loading ammunition up to test the accuracy of my favorite 9mm load in my new baby. The test targets included with the gun showed 2-2 1/2" groups at 25 yards. I'm thinking I can beat that.

A friend of mine who is a former Sheriff's Deputy in Nevada has had a P225 for many years and is still her carry gun. She has no complaints. My only advice would be to try this pistol with whatever load you intend to carry but I think that is the case with any auto-loader. The only semi-auto I truly trust with +P loads is the 3rd Generation Glocks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts