Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,575 Posts
If you go to their website it says, right there on the front page, "OWN A PIECE OF HISTORY!"

History?

·
Registered
20,331 Posts
Why are they being surplussed so soon?
The M9 Berettas they replaced haven't even been surplussed out yet, have they?

And some of the 1911s weren't surplussed for 50 years or more.

Heck, we still had a handful of Colt 1873, 1892 and 1917 revolvers as well as a ton of Smith Victory revolvers in stock in U.S. armories and smaller Guard units well into the Vietnam era.

Why are they junking these out so quickly?

·
Premium Member
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Watch the video...., please.

Reactions: Ten Man and Jaison

·
Registered
20,331 Posts
Watch the video....
Because "the military wanted different colored controls" seems more like a cop out than a real reason.

This is the same military that bought hunting rifles and commercial scopes to issue to snipers in three different wars, that issued vehicles in modern war zones with less armor than a pair of corduroy pants, issued jam-a-matic rifles with the wrong ammo, sent horrible weapon systems directly into battle, commissioned airplanes that barely fly or are unsuitable for their original purpose, and adopted a camouflage pattern that literally blends in to nothing.

Now I am to believe that they surplussed a bunch of guns because of a color choice? What is this, "Queer Eye for the Gun Guy"?

·
Premium Member
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Because "the military wanted different colored controls" seems more like a cop out than a real reason.

This is the same military that bought hunting rifles and commercial scopes to issue to snipers in three different wars, that issued vehicles in modern war zones with less armor than a pair of corduroy pants, issued jam-a-matic rifles with the wrong ammo, sent horrible weapon systems directly into battle, commissioned airplanes that barely fly or are unsuitable for their original purpose, and adopted a camouflage pattern that literally blends in to nothing.

Now I am to believe that they surplussed a bunch of guns because of a color choice? What is this, "Queer Eye for the Gun Guy"?

·
Premium Member
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I posted for everyone's edification; I too find it "unusual " that a recent pistol is surplus; I have NO answers only posted for info...I like my Massachusetts legal .45 P320, maybe the bs will work itself out

Reactions: jerry and neophyte

·
Wonderment :)
34,009 Posts
K75RT: Sir; as I've read?? Sig is swapping these out for the black!

https://gundigest.com/handguns/sig-sauer-offers-up-military-surplus-m17-pistols

“The M17 Military Surplus handguns are a very special release from SIG SAUER, that gives consumers the opportunity to own a piece of history, and includes a certificate of authenticity,” said Tom Taylor, Chief Marketing Officer and Executive Vice President, Commercial Sales. “These handguns were originally issued by the U.S. Army and fielded during the initial domestic and in-theater deployment of the Modular Handgun System. The unique, one-of-a-kind, features of the M17 Surplus handguns include coyote controls, the original government-issue markings and serial numbers, and orange rear and green front SIGLITE Night Sights, which will make them coveted by both military and firearms collectors alike.”

The M17 Surplus handgun is a 9mm, striker-fired, P320-based handgun platform, featuring a coyote-tan PVD coated stainless steel slide, coyote-tan controls, a coyote-tan medium carry grip module, with the U.S. Government slide markings and serial numbers. The handguns are equipped with SIGLITE sights (orange rear & green front), removable night sight rear plates, and the same optic cut as specified by the MHS contract, and ready to fit a SIG SAUER Electro-Optics ROMEO1Pro Optic. The M17 features an ambidextrous manual safety, ships with (1) 17-round and (2) 21-round magazines, includes an official SIG SAUER M17 Certificate of Authenticity, and comes packed just as the handguns are delivered to the U.S. Military.

·
Premium Member
24,835 Posts
I posted for everyone's edification; I too find it "unusual " that a recent pistol is surplus; I have NO answers only posted for info...I like my Massachusetts legal .45 P320, maybe the bs will work itself out
He said right in the video WHY SIG had these surplus pistols, and why they were selling them to the public.

Basically the military changed their mind about the color.

I don't like the color, either.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,725 Posts
Like them or not, good on Sig for putting forth effort to put them in the hands of citizens. Yes, it most likely was driven by mostly financials, but they could have possibly done worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game

1 - 13 of 13 Posts