Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 213 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking of the many possibilities of a combat pistol. I have come down to either a Sig P226 or a Glock 17 3rd generation. Both ahve comfortable grips, both take common magazines, so... I leave it to you.

Sig, or Glock?

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
As a Gunsmith... GLocks Are Garbage ,Go with the SIG !
( 2 frozen Glocks Blew apart here in Alaska and Injured the shooters, and our State Troopers are constantly having to clear Jams with the .40 cal Glocks on the Shooting range here that I am the Rangemaster of !)
I shoot Colts,Kimbers, Springfield, Makarovs, Rugers, And an SP89 HK that all function way better even under adverse Conditions !
Rich

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Mooseman684 said:
As a Gunsmith... GLocks Are Garbage ,Go with the SIG !
( 2 frozen Glocks Blew apart here in Alaska and Injured the shooters, and our State Troopers are constantly having to clear Jams with the .40 cal Glocks on the Shooting range here that I am the Rangemaster of !)
I shoot Colts,Kimbers, Springfield, Makarovs, Rugers, And an SP89 HK that all function way better even under adverse Conditions !
Rich
:jaw:

Glocks are not Garbage.

I have not used Glocks in subzero conditions. So I can't speak too that. But I have used them in just about every other environment (Including salt water and sand). I don't know what the guys are doing to those Glocks up there in AK to make them jam constantly, but the only time I have seen a Glock fail to feed was when it was "limp-wrist-ed" by my wife or with bad ammo. I can't imagine that over 50% of the police departments in the Country would use Glocks if they were that unreliable. Glock will out-last any of those named in a torture test (except maybe the HK). It has been done - look around the net.

Don't construe any of this post as putting down on Sigs; because they are good pistols. But, a post saying Glocks are Garbage and are not reliable is Garbage. I own three (soon to be four) Glocks as well as many other pistols. If my life depended on one of those pistols firing - I would pick the Glock, no contest.

The more complicated and tight a pistol - the more potential there is for a couple grains of sand to foul up the whole works. Reliability is Glock's main claim to fame.

But, getting back to your original question. Either the Glock or the Sig is a good choice. I would obviously go with the Glock. The Glock is likely to be less expensive as well.

Happy shooting!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I could count the jams that I have had with Glocks on one hand well other then an empty mag of course.
I have carried them loaded in the holster and fallen down hills and in creeks and when I draw them they have worked perfect every time. I know one guy who keeps one in his Ute in the dust and muck and shoots pigs in traps with it or even as he drives past them all the time and the only time that it gets cleaned is when I visit and it still doesn’t jam.

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
Had a Glock 10mm come in for repairs, the darndest thing. Fire 3 rounds and the clip falls out on the ground. Stick it back in fire 3 more and it drops out again. Cant find a thing wrong with the catch or the magazine.

I have NEVER had a SIG come in for repairs yet!
By the way,Utahvarminter, how are you getting a Pistol at age 15 ???

Rich the Gunsmith .

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mooseman684 said:
Had a Glock 10mm come in for repairs, the darndest thing. Fire 3 rounds and the clip falls out on the ground. Stick it back in fire 3 more and it drops out again. Cant find a thing wrong with the catch or the magazine.
I have NEVER had a SIG come in for repairs yet!
By the way,Utahvarminter, how are you getting a Pistol at age 15 ???
Rich the Gunsmith .
My dad buys it, I pay him the money, and when I turn 21 he gives it to me. Meanwhile it's "mine"

·
Registered
51 Posts
JMOFO:

I have owned Glocks in the past.... I own a Sig NOW....
I think Glocks are better suited to professionals or people who can spend enough time getting use to the unique trigger system to be safe.. Glocks are, IMO, excellent pistols, but in inexperienced hands just AD's looking to happen.
For regular folks I believe a heavier da trigger at least for the first shot is preferable. My Sig P239 or J-frame Airweight Bodyguard seem perfect for my needs..
Having said that, please understand that what works for me might not work for you. You need to hold and fire a specimen of whatever pistols you are interested in buying.
Best Wishes,
JP

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
They're both good guns in my opinion. I don't own either, but know ppl who own them and I've shot them.

I don't like Glocks personally. They are one of the most rugged guns I've seen. I think it was on the ar15.com forums that one of the guys was basically trying to destroy his, and it was amazing what all that pistol took. However, the grip just seems so uncomfortable to me. It's like it's angled back too far or something. I can shoot fine with them, but the feel just isn't natural.

The Sigs have a nice feel, are very dependable, and accurate as well. I'd go Sig.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Chris said:
I personally like both, but when it comes down to it Glock would be my choice.
Chris:
Seeing the Bersa Thunder 380 in your post reminded me of another pistol I am very high on.

I think Bersa/Firestorms are excellent firearms, underpriced and undervalued by most American firearm buyers.. My Bersa Thunder 9 (Ultra Compact) was only $305+tax and it has been 100% reliable and surprisingly it is as accurate as my Sig P239..
I had to special order my Bersa as local gun dealers generally don't carry them. Not enough profit I guess, but I do love my Bersa... I also love the fact that my Bersa has a 13+1 capacity.....
Best Wishes,
JP

·
Registered
127 Posts
I love my Glocks...I personally don't prefer Sig Sauer. Noting against them at all, I just love Glocks and so does R. Lee Ermey! So I'm sure you know which one I'm voting for

·
Registered
171 Posts
Do you reload?

If you reload with cast bullets or buy lead bullet rounds then get the SIG for sure. Glocks have "polygon" rifling not cut rifling. That means they are not accurate with lead bullets and in fact Glock says it's dangerous to shoot them.

I could not afford to do the shooting I do if I did not reload. When I was in law enforcement, I salvaged scrap lead and cast my own bullets. I was making centerfire rounds for less than I could buy 22 RF. The Sig works great with reloads and cast bullets.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Having experience with both, after a near a year since I made this post, I want to go Glock. Better trigger, easier to field strip, etc.

Sig has a special place in my heart however. Jason Bourne's SIGPRO is just too dang sexy to pass up. :D

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
IMO, if Glocks were that great, there wouldn't be so damm many companies selling parts to make them better.

1 - 20 of 213 Posts