Gun and Game Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Well, here she is, and she's beautiful.

Not real sure that it is really a Hungarian at all, has Steyr stamped on the side of the receiver. Has a Bulgarian Lion crest on the barrel. So what I seem to have is a Bulgarian contract M95. The only difference is instead of Steyr or Budapest stamped on the barrel, there is the Bulgarian Lion crest. Doesn't matter, she's still pretty.

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks Joker THAT'S the third name i always forget:
Budapest
Steyr
Hungarian
i hope to have all 3 someday
frenchy
Well, just to throw the old monkey wrench in, looks like we have to add Bulgaria. Heard there were some out there with Czech marks on them, too.

·
Premium Member
2,771 Posts
Man that really is a beauty and glad there's more to collect gandog, considering most i've seen are in my price range.
frenchy

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Yeah, them and Mosins are about the same.

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I'm hoping that I will finally shoot my new M95 tomorrow.

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Well that was kind of disappointing. At fifty yards the thing was shooting about 1 foot high. All I took with me was some paper plate targets I had made with a magic marker. I need a BIGGER target I can see at 100 yards to see if it drops any there. If it don't, not sure how to fix it.

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I wish I knew a site for a taller front sight...if they even make such a thing.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sorry for the resurrection of and older post but........had to! :shysmile:
That is a great looking rifle. I too,grabbed this one a while back. Almost perfect condition,I might add. I also have the bayo. Cannot believe the shape this is in.It drives me crazy not to be able to shoot it yet. $$ for ammo is on the back burner till after Christmas. Atleast I have the carbine. A Hungarian "Budapest" marked carbine in 8X56R. This carbine has a 1918 manufacture date.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Well that was kind of disappointing. At fifty yards the thing was shooting about 1 foot high. All I took with me was some paper plate targets I had made with a magic marker. I need a BIGGER target I can see at 100 yards to see if it drops any there. If it don't, not sure how to fix it.
well, what was your sight picture like? how big was the 'black' and where was the front sight with relationship to that? and how did it group anyway?

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
oldgamer, they are cute aren't they?! Nice gun.

I had 4 M95s a year ago. Number one is REALLY nice and almost presentation quality and it will stay untouched forever. The second is in my hands and has been converted to bottom load with over-the-bore scope, still in 8x56R. (I'm still working on the stock but will have picture of the completed gun by the New Year). The third is with a gunsmith now. It has also been converted to bottom load, with scope, but he's installing a 7.62x54R barrel. (acutally a .308 barrel with 7.62x54R chamber so I can use the Russian brass, Lee dies, and load with .308 bullets). It should perform like a .308 Win. I'm not sure of the exact barrel length but think it's in the 600mm range. The fourth magically transformed into a Mosin M38 and looked exactly like the one Gandog shows here.

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
well, what was your sight picture like? how big was the 'black' and where was the front sight with relationship to that? and how did it group anyway?
6 o'clock hold on a 2 inch black dot. Like I said, it was shooting high. Was missing the plate entirely, so I have no idea how it was grouping.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
6 o'clock hold on a 2 inch black dot. Like I said, it was shooting high. Was missing the plate entirely, so I have no idea how it was grouping.
thanks for the info, it was an honest question.

I see the link provided says that M98 front sights, presumably taller, will fit the dovetail (Oberndorf Mauser 98 replacement sight, Midway pn. 560-381, $8.79). that's one solution, if that sight is indeed taller. the other is to lower the rear sight. I might suggest getting a new sight piece from e-gunparts and using a Dremel or file to lower the height of the rear sight by filing off the appropriate height. A new V (Or a more useful U) would have to be cut too. That V is always a criticism of the M95 sights anyway. Just cutting a deeper V doesn't help because sight alignment is from the top of front sight to the line across the top of rear sight.

A really slick fix would be to grind out a radius at the rear sight V and solder in a peep ring at the appropriate depth. i.e., the horizontal center line of the peep be about 1 mm lower than the current top of the rear sight. (see calculations below)

or, going nutzo on this topic, make an adjustable peep for the rear. grind out the V into a wide and deep U. drill and tap small holes on left and right of the U. get a machine shop make a small plate with hole in the center drilled and tapped to the Williams/Redfield/Lyman threads and get a peep aperature from Midway (pg 402 of their gunsmithing catalog for about $7), cut mounting slots (hence the adjustability) on either side to line up with the new holes next to the U. you get the idea.

another crazy thought I had was to just add a fiber optic sight on top of the M95 front sight blade with epoxy. that should raise it enough.

my quick calculations show that for my M95 with a sight radius of 15.75 inches (from back of the front blade to the V) a correction of .111125 mm (.004375" but I think the metric units more useful for understanding the small adjustment needed) will yield a 1" correction at 100 yds. And that can be either added to the front sight or removed from the rear. So in more usable terms, if it's shooting 10" high, a correction of 1.1 mm is appropriate. So depending on where it is shooting now and where you want it to shoot (2" high at 100 yds???") you can make the adjustment.

for example, to adjust 8" at POI, the sights need adjustment by 8 x .111125 mm, or about .88 mm.

so after all that fun, getting a M98 front sight that's 1 mm higher than the M95 blade seems not so bad!

It all depends on how much shooting, and how accurate you want it to be and how 'original' it needs to be. Once you've changed anything it ain't original, but it might be more useful. They are set up for wartime "aim at the belt line of the enemy and pull the trigger". So unless you are shooting silouettes there will always be some adjustment necessary, either to the gun or by the shooter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
M95 carbine

I have one that has been completely sporterized, and chambered in 7X57mm. I picked it up cheap in a pawn shop. I have not shot it yet because I am waiting until I can afford to put a scope on it. There are no iron sights. It looks as if whoever sporterized it knew what they were doing. The action is bedded, the barrel free-floated, and the stock looks professionally done. The blueing on the barrel is very nice, and the trigger has a lot of take-up, but is very crisp at let-off. Does anybody know if I need to put special rings on it? It has weaver bases, and it still loads from the top. It came with two clips, and I need to find more. Thanks for your help!

Jim

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I have one that has been completely sporterized, and chambered in 7X57mm. I picked it up cheap in a pawn shop. I have not shot it yet because I am waiting until I can afford to put a scope on it. There are no iron sights. It looks as if whoever sporterized it knew what they were doing. The action is bedded, the barrel free-floated, and the stock looks professionally done. The blueing on the barrel is very nice, and the trigger has a lot of take-up, but is very crisp at let-off. Does anybody know if I need to put special rings on it? It has weaver bases, and it still loads from the top. It came with two clips, and I need to find more. Thanks for your help!

Jim
Rings? I don't even know anybody that makes a mount for it.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
LOL yea i figured that was coming gandog and i should have done what first came to mind and that was ask Joker what his M95 had stamped on it.
Is their only 2 M95's?
Budapest
M95
Steyr
M95
Sharp of you to catch that buddy :biggthumpup:
frenchy

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
8x56R sporter

Finally to a point where I don't mind showing pictures. Bottom load, over the bore scope, excellent bore, still in 8x56R. I have some 150 gr. pills ready to shoot when it warms up some.

what remains to be done is get the DuraCoat on the metal, add swivels and possibly a bi-pod.

Attachments

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Hmmm, I never really realized that with a straight pull you don't need a bent bolt to scope it.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts