Gun and Game Forum banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Hmmm, I never really realized that with a straight pull you don't need a bent bolt to scope it.
nope! i used an old Mauser one piece, took some sandpaper and layed it on the receiver and used elbow grease until it fit. didn't take that much, a few hours or so. Think I'll get some black leather and fashion a lace-on 'scope shield'.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Does anyone out there have one that has been converted to 8x57? I would like to see how they modified the bolt face.
Travis

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
M95M bolt

there's a big ol' thread going into detail on this topic on another forum, I won't say what it is but it rhymes with GumBroads. Here's my summary from earlier today. I wrote this and I can post it.

OK, here's what I learned today about making a M95M bolt from a M95 bolt and get around extractor issues.

regarding the bolt:

1) a M95M bolt face can be milled directly into the M95 bolt and have the proper rim height and other dimensions,
2) it might be possible to install a SAKO extractor on the modified M95 bolt.
3) it might also be possible to install a Remington clip extractor on a modified M95 bolt
4) the M95 extractor claw can be just cut off to not hit the breach face but can be left in place
5) one of the lugs on the bottom rear of the M95 bolt housing can be ground off (the forward lug)
6) drill a couple gas relief holes and you now have a 'modern' M95M bolt without the extractor issues
7) cost for doing this should be in the $100 range, maybe less if the Rem clip method works OK
8) this assumes the rounds will feed as push feed like they do on a Rem 700. I would think it will work.

and regarding the clip:

1) with a small screw into the front of the trigger guard it should be easy to hold an en bloc clip in place permanently
2) it was difficult to load the clip from the top, I think the ears need to be bent some but it might work.
3) my bottom load doesn't have that issue and can easily be loaded from the bottom (the clip will eject when last round stripped)
4) my 7x57 rounds are too long to fit the magazine, they must have seated 8x57 bullets pretty deep
5) my 6mmRem rounds work easily as will 257 Roberts

re: barrel threads:

they are 25.5x2mm metric, same pitch thread and form as the Mauser original, not the commercial. This apparently causes some headaches for those with machining that does not have a 2mm setting, however I also understand that CNC machines would have no problems with this.

thanks to all for the info and help. This might work! wouldn't it be cool to have a light, easy recoiling 6mm Rem or 257 Bob instead of the 8x56R or 8x57???

Attachments

41 - 43 of 43 Posts