close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Sighting-in formula?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Dale, Jun 20, 2002.

1. Is there a formula that can be used to determine the movment of iron sights when sighting in a gun?

For example, I have a Henry Gold Boy .22 rifle with iron sights. The front sight is 'fixed' but can be moved sideways with a brass drift punch or a hard wood dowel and mallet.

The POI (point of impact) is 1 inch to the left of POA (point of aim) at 35 feet.

The distance between the rear and front sight is 17 1/4 inches.

I was wondering if there was a formula that would tell you how many 100ths or 1000ths of an inch the front sight has to move to the side to accurately sight in the rifle?

I guess I could tap the sight (and I probably will) until I get it where I want it. I was just curious if there was a formula some people use.

2. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

Dale I use the last method you listed drift until its where you want it

3. Eric

Eric G&G Newbie

USA
    Trial and error...At least with that method you really do have a reason for shooting all those rounds down range. Or, you could be lazy and use the 'kentucky windage' method. I'm a shooter not a mathmetician, lol

4. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    Small movements at a time. Too many variables i assume in ammo firearm, weather, shooter style & ability. I cringed when I had to file down the front site of my MarkII fixed site to change impact. In this case you can remove material but not add.

5. Thats risky Jerry the fixed site on a MK-II is very hard to replace if you go too far, glad it worked for you.
    There is a formula as I recall I read it in a book at the shop I'll see if I can dig up the article again. I think the formula was for a Springfield 03 but I'll have to find it to make sure.
    I always just tapped it myself or in some cases used the old Kentucky wind-age.

6. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

I always just mark the curent location of the sights with a crayon and adjust from their. My Mosin and Black powder guns require a few taps with a pucnh each time. I tend to mount a scope before removeing metal but Im a wimp :) ...