Sighting in my mosin?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by cremley, May 21, 2008.

1. Hi guys,

I just bought my first Mosin Nagant a few days ago and was wondering what the best way to sight it in is. It is a 1948 Russian made M44 with a bayonet. I read that the front sight was adjustable and that the bayonet extended or collapsed would affect the accuracy. I am a little confused on what to do? I know that the rear one is set for the different meter ranges but I am not sure about the rest. I am a newer shooter so don't criticize me too much:09:. Thanks

2. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

NO reason to criticize anyone! The m44 will shoot left to a degree with the bayonet folded or off the rifle. They were sighted in with the bayo extended. I must admit that affixing the bayonet does draw some stares at the range until they know why you are doing it.

To adjust the front sight it needs to be drifted either right or left depending on where it is shooting. Use a brass punch and a wood or brass hammer. Be VERY careful with this because small drifts will make a big difference in where the bullet hits. Just remember if your rifle is shooting left then drift the front sight left. Be patient. The movement of the front sight should be done in Thousandths of an inch at a time.

3. Kismet

Kismet G&G Newbie

Tex is right. But...

for some of us, or at least one of us, taking the bayonet off, then shooting the rifle did NOT impair the accuracy of the gun.

Dunno what would have happened if I'd shot it with the bayonet on, but I'm not a sharp-shooter.

Me hunt meat.

Me practice standing up, shooting down into a hillside.

Accuracy is "minute of rock."

:)

Have fun, be safe.

4. Grumpus

Grumpus Curmudgeon Emeritus NRA Life Member

[​IMG]

'Nuff said? If you want a bunch of good info, go to boxotruth.com. If these two guys aren't in our forum, they need to be.

5. just_a_car

just_a_car G&G Newbie

It's The Box O' Truth - Ammo Penetration Testing, the above link goes to nothing. Also, they attend their own little forum for their site. They have no need for a separate forum.

6. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

7. texnmidwest

8. marion57

marion57 G&G Newbie

Yepper but we all knew that didnt we Tex?????swede???? Geo???? someone ???? must be the CRS acting up again .. now what was We talking about? Ill ask moose man he will know! If he dont Billy will , well maybe:09:

9. texnmidwest

Marion! Don't make me come down there!!! I will drink all your coffee!:09::09::09:

10. marion57

marion57 G&G Newbie

Man you better hurry I think I am fading into SKS syndrome from mosinitis and there battling each other,, hmmmm doubt you can drink all of my coffee without going to the head LOL
    opps bathroom for you non sea going guys

11. SwedeSteve

Nothing goes to Tex's head! Nothing!

12. Grumpus

Grumpus Curmudgeon Emeritus NRA Life Member

Whoops! Didn't mean to offend anyone, JAC. Within the bounds of educating other shooters, I shared that.

And, if my link was crappy, again, my apologies. I do pretty good at all this web stuff, but now and then I get a "." or a ">" misplaced. Or else, satanic forces from Microsoft move it when I'm not looking...

13. SwedeSteve

LOL TWM!
    The Russians used a pretty wierd pocess to zero their Mosins.

14. texnmidwest

LOL! Well I would if my "head" was indoors! Too cold to go to the outside one. Wait, then where DO i go? What if I didn't? I would explode!!!:09::09:

15. thanks for those links guys. I am going to try those techniques out in a few days.

16. SwedeSteve

17. texnmidwest

Confused?! ME? No way. I have a mind like a steel trap...just a little rusty.
    :09:

18. just_a_car

just_a_car G&G Newbie

No worries, I wasn't raggin' on ya. Just trying to make sure everyone got a chance to see the site. I love that site so much that I got on their email list many months ago.

19. marion57

marion57 G&G Newbie

Not a pretty site !!!:sad2:

20. This is the way I site in my mosins.
    Go to the range or where ever your siteing it in at.
    Make sure your Mosin has the bayo extended or attached.
    Step back about 5 paces. Getting a running start toss your Mosin out as far as you can. If it sticks in the ground so much the better. Mark that spot and hang your targets there. Retrieve your firearm.
    Take it back to your shooting bench and check to be sure the barrel is not obstructed. Shoot a few rounds and you should be dead on. Works every time.

(NO DONT ACTUALLY DO THIS)