Sighting in Scope

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by dd454, May 18, 2008.

1. dd454

dd454 Guest

Hello out there, I am rather new to long distance shooting and was wondering when sighting in a rifle, making adjustments to the scope and such, If I was doing this correctly. I have been making adjustments to the scope by moving the sight to the point of impact. My thinking is that you cannot change the impact of the bullet, just where your scope is aiming. For example if I am aiming directly at a bulls eye at 100 yards and my bullet is hitting 2in. low and 3 in. right should i move my scope down and right or up and left. So my question is are scopes already built with this "opposite adjustment" in mind? or am I doing this correctly? Thanks

2. Steve

Steve Master Gunsmith Staff Member

up and left move the adjustments the way you want the point of impact to go.
    steve

3. turner

turner Guest

I use the same technique as sbowers5. But there is another that some say is as good or better. That's where you fire your rifle at the target, 50 or 100yd, see where the bullet struck, then placing your rifle firmly in your shooting rest, place the crosshairs in the middle of the bullseye again and without moving the rifle, adjust windage and elevation so the crosshairs are now on your bullet hole. Again, I do adjust mine from the bullet hole strike, to the bullseye, and I believe this to be the better method for long range shooting, but the other method is apparently very good as well.

4. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

i chase the bullet
    put rifle in solid rest
    fire
    adjust crosshairs until they are on bullet hole
    fire
    fine adjust crosshairs
    done!

5. dd454

dd454 Guest

thanks

Thanks guys, im really looking forward to getting some good time on the range in tommorow.

6. only one minor problem. most rifles shoot 1 m.o.a or there about. so your first point of impact maybe to left 1 inch of center then the next may be right 1 inch. your still holding 1 m.o.a. but the holes are 2 inches apart. now this part is just theory but I've read you should shoot 3 shots before you adjust your scope.

7. Wingwiper

Wingwiper Guest

ALWAYS shoot a 3 shot group and be sure you have the SAME sight picture for each round.

When you have a group, draw lines to join them all together and where those lines intersect is the center of your group. Measure the windage and elevation adjustments from that point to the center of the V ring and adjust. REFIRE a 3 shot group to confirm or to make another adjustment.

The closer you get to the center the closer to center you will stay as you increase your distance from the target. 1 inch at 100 yards will make a 6 inch difference at 600, 2 inches will make a 12 inch at 600 etc etc

Adjusting to the bullet impact will NOT work. You will be aiming at the barn to hit the house.

You must if you shot 2in. low and 3 in. right, you need to put Left windage adjustments on and RAISE elevation. If you adjust to the bullet impact, you will be multiplying your error., by adding when you should be subtracting and adding left when you should be adding right etc etc. Bring the Bullet impact to center.

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  8. telkev

telkev G&G Newbie

+1 on what wingwiper said. Keep in mind, you should stick with the same brand and weight of bullets also. Changing anything will change everything.

9. cudgy

cudgy Guest

hey do u have to shoot a new gun in

10. Wingwiper

Wingwiper Guest

That depends who you talk to and what gun you are referring to.

My M1A was center V when I got it and many thousands of rounds later, still center V.
    My Colt H-Bar was center V when I got it and many thousands of rounds later still center V.

Many people will tell you many differnt ways of breaking in a firearm, I really don't understand what is breaking in other than some trigger wear and maybe a burr here and there. The Rifling is there when you fire the first shot and won't move. The twist will be the same and I haven't known of a projectile to straighten the rifling out yet.

I very seldom dismantle any of my firearms and use boiling water and Carb Cleaner or Brake Cleaner to clean them and then oil and lithium grease the high points.

BEST way to find out, shoot it... did it hit where you wanted it to? Shoot it again, did it hit where you wanted it to again? Then what do you need to do?

11. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

To me a breakin routine is twofold beneficial.First,it work hardens the barrel/action which to me makes it more consistent.Second,it makes it easier to clean,which is always desirable. sam.

12. cudgy

cudgy Guest

are howa 223 any good