Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
11,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently noticed the S&W Sigma in my considerations for my first CCW pistol. I thought I saw 16rd mags advertised, but could be mistaken. One guy bashed the SIGMA, so I wonder if anyone has a good opinion of it. My caliber of choice in this piece is 40 S&W. Could I get one with an accessory rail?

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
G3,

I have a S/W V40 (.40 cal) with polymer grip and frame which, I do believe, was the fore runner of the Sigma series if not one of them.

It packs a wallop and the recoil tells you that.

It's an OK gun. It's as accurate as you can expect but I wouldn't put it at the very top of my list for guns though.

That's strictly my 10 cents (inflation included).

Attachments

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
I feel that the Sigma is a cop-out on Glock. It will fling some lead, no doubt about that. The older ones (before the law suit) looked more like Glocks than the new ones do.

·
Registered
11,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fling some lead? You mean shoot, or malfunction? And what was the lawsuit over? Is it the one where they settled with the fed?

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
By flinging lead I think he meant it will put out some firepower.

The lawsuit, although I forget the basis of it now, was a few years back against S/W. As a form of settlement they signed a pact with the devil (government), so to speak, agreeing not to sell publicly for a period of time.

I do believe the time period has now elapsed and what you see now are new production.

Some experts say that the reason the feds brought the lawsuit against them for was, in reality, because S&W refused to stop what they were doing to design and mass produce a special gun for the military and police. Hence the lawsuit was really harrassment and an attention getter.

Who knows for sure? The government wouldn't be so chitty, would they? he he he he

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Yes, fling some lead is my term for laying down fire....

·
Registered
231 Posts
Lately, I've seen NEW Sigmas on sale for less than $400. You're better off buying a nice baseball bat & saving $300! The Sigma I had was POS!! Be afraid, be very very afraid!

·
Registered
11,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not only have I scratched them off my list, I have excised the portion of the imaginary paper I wrote them on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well

Well the lawsuit had nothing to do with any government it was all Glock saying that it was a rip off there new gun and in all i own a Sigma and i have put several hundred rounds in it i can tell you for 350.00 bucks it was worth every penny not only is at as accurate as the glock (i mean it is a 4" barrel you want to hit something farther then 35 feet get a longer gun)but easier to handle and but the grip feels good as the glock is cubed and kinda hurts after a few shoots sweet i mean in all i think it better then the glock my dad like the glock more but he is a old fashion pig and all the new sigs come with an add on bar mine is sweet i don't need a flashlight or laser pointer but i got one

PS
its the gun i choose to sleep with

·
Registered
978 Posts
I generally recommend going to handgunreview.com as well as asking on this site. There, of course, you don't get to chat like you do here. But you can post opinions.

I look for large trends. If a gun or brand overwhelmingly gets good reviews, with only a few bad reviews, I'd go for it. If it's 75-25 or below, I'd skip it. This is more to eliminate guns on my part than to put them on the buy list. Kel-Tec and Taurus, for example, are on the avoid list.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
Demono33 Good Morning to you !!! And WELCOME TO GUN and GAME feller !!
Thank you for joining and thanks for the good info ! Looking forward to seeing you around this place. Enjoy the site...A.H And good mornig to you TriggerJerk.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I hated my Sigma a lot. Maybe they have gotten better since I had mine, but this one I owned had a 15 lb trigger that made it impossible to shoot accurately.

I would get a Witness or a CZ for the money that could be spent on a Sigma.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
The only bad things that I've ever heard about Sigma firearms is that the triggers are absolutely horrible. Besides that, I think the go bang when you pull the trigger...if you can pull it that is.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Other than the glock guys hating them because of the lawsuit, I've never heard anything bad about them.

I learned pistol shooting with a sigma 9mm, one of the early models. It was a blast to shoot and very accurate...

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have a Sigma 9VE. I know you can get them in a .40. I didn't like the trigger at first as it has a long, fairly hard pull, but after better than 500 rounds through it (all kinds of ammo), the trigger pulls better, the gun is very accurate and there has never been a mis-feed or other problem. It's pretty light, points well, breaks down for cleaning easily, and is reliable. My nine came with two 16 or 17 round mags. Good luck with your choice of weapons.

Dave

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I didn't like the trigger at first as it has a long, fairly hard pull, but after better than 500 rounds through it (all kinds of ammo), the trigger pulls better
Either the trigger broke in or your trigger finger now has a 6-pack from the workout you've been giving it :09:

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've got a Sigma SW9C in 9mm or should I say SWOCK as it was a near copy of a Glock. Accurate and reliable. The trigger was at 8# like a heavy trigger Glock. A good pistol but the new M&P is a better deal.

·
Registered
12 Posts
sigma

i have 2, 9 and 40, they both shoot low. sent one back to sw, still shoots low. have to get used to the trigger. they are ok for the money. sam

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
They have a rep for Fireing pin problems. I know of a cop that had one that broke and he didn't even know it for like a month. Poor guy was carring around a gun that was more useful as a rock than a gun. Another guy I know picked one up used and when he brought it to the range it was not always firing the rounds off. Then if he pulled the trigger a 2nd time it would fire. a closer inspection showed very light primer hits on the all the rounds he fired that day. He was going to have it looked at I don't know what happened I haven't seen him since.

I would look at something different, The new M&P 40 or another brand all together.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts