close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Silencers in WW I questions

Discussion in 'Silencers' started by JamesAPrattIII, May 22, 2017.

1. JamesAPrattIII

JamesAPrattIII G&G Enthusiast

A non gun owning friend of mine had some questions on silencers in WW I. I believe they were around then what sort pistols of the period could they be fitted to like the Browning 1900 or 1910 or others? I believe the M-1895 Nagant revolver is this only type of revolver that could be fitted with a silencer? Thanks in advance.

2. TheWall

TheWall Firearm Affectionado Forum Contributor

No silencers in any war. There's no such thing as a silencer for guns.

PAPA G likes this.

3. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Well from an engineering standpoint, as The Wall said, no you currently cannot make any gun truly silent however (and not going into the fact that "silencer" is the legal term for it), the person (Hiram P Maxim) who is credited with inventing the first suppressor named it (and trademarked it) the "Maxim Silencer" hence where the original name/wording came from. And then it became sort of a household/common name.

Sort of like how people call certain types of CEW's "TASER's" even when they are not in fact TASERs which a trademarked specific product of Axion (formerly known as TASER International).

Regarding the first military use of sound suppressors, the first historical use was by the US Army in 1916, but not in WW1, but in Mexico, Pershing's expedition into Mexico to go try to capture Pancho Villa. A couple M1903 rifles were supposedly equipped with the Maxim Silencers.

A couple years later on in WW1 some of these scoped and suppressed M1903's were used in WW1 but they were very rare and saw little use because with all the trench warfare and all going on there really wasn't a use/need for them. Snipers would rather just build an armored bunker to shoot from or they would use camouflaged sniper hides and with all the other sporadic rifle rifle going on and with the enemy knowing that rifle fire was coming from one direction anyways (the enemy trench) there wasn't a need to camouflage the sound or sound direction.

Last edited: May 23, 2017
    PAPA G likes this.
  4. DannoBoone

DannoBoone G&G Newbie

No one does, but it would be more appropriate to call them "mufflers", rather than "silencers". Everyone who really wants the regulations of suppressors to be dropped, should refer to them as suppressors. The "anti's" may not even know what you're talking about! But they are totally spooked because of Hollywood's portrayal of "silencers".

PAPA G and animalspooker like this.