Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 164 Posts

·
The outer edge of civilization
13,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I've outgrown my beginner's spincaster and want to graduate to a "regular" spinner. I'm not going to get rid of my spincaster mind you. I'm going to keep it in case Hubby wants to go fishing with me. So...time for some questions that may seem silly to you all but are important to me. I'm looking at combos to start with since hopefully Bass Pro has more of a clue about pairing a rod and reel than I do...lol

1. What difference does the length of the rod make or do I pick one based on my height (I'm 5' 10", btw)?

2. Power??? Is that related to my strength, how hard I cast or what I'm fishing for...which is bass mostly. I've tried a light and medium and like the medium. It's a little stiffer seeming to me and is very comfortable to cast with. Or does it have to do with the test strength of the line I use?

3. Reel size and gear ratios? I'm guessing that relates to the amount of line I can put on and how easy it is to work the reel.

I'm sure there'll be a ton more questions, but 3 is a good place to start.

This is the combo I'm considering. Don't poke at me because it's a Lady's model. I happen to like the color...lol

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/pflueger-lady-trion-rod-and-reel-spinning-combo

·
13,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestion, tim. When and if I get good enough, I'll look into it. Right now I'm trying to stay within a small, sane budget. :)

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
It's been a loooooong time since I used a spinning rod. I fly fish exclusively now, and have for over 50 years. From what I remember, reel size pretty much dictates what strength line you can use and how much of it you can put on the reel. Where you fish should have a lot to do with rod length. In a boat on a lake, longer rods are great, in a brushy stream or someplace with over hanging tree limbs, a short rod would make casting easier. Gear ratios dictate how fast you can reel the fish in, and how much effort you have to expend.

I'm sure there are other, more qualified, fishers on here that will correct my mistakes.

·
13,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks Ron. Your explanation is a help. I don't feel so utterly clueless now. :)

Fly fishing...EEEEEkk!!! If you want some down feathers, let me know. My 2 Cockatoos shed them fairly often and I'll be happy to send them to you if you tie your own flies.

·
Premium Member
9,115 Posts
It really depends on if you are fishing for freshwater, saltwater and lure weights etc. I don't have just a few rods and reels myself but enough for the whole neighborhood probably. I would not however buy a cheap rod. I have seen them break on first cast at the eye tip. Also the eyes are cheap and will come apart. I would start with a Zebco Rhino rod or an Ugly stick and Get a ball bearing reel. Graphite reels are nice and wont rust or corrode and durable. I like the cheaper Shimano reels made of graphite like the 1000 and 2000 series. If you are fishing for smaller light tackle fish then get an ultra light rod or a medium action rod. For larger fish use a Medium/Heavy rod. I like a 5 1/2 foot ultra light and a 6' rod for medium to heavy action and fish

·
13,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay...I'm going to be fishing for bass, panfish and perhaps trout come fall. So that's all freshwater. I live 4 hrs. from saltwater, and I don't think I want to go through the hassle or expense of getting a license in CA or flying out there with my gear when I visit Mom. Besides, she doesn't eat fish and I don't do catch and release unless it's undersized.

Right now my budget for a rod and reel set up is $75 max. Hubby has mandated that and I agree. Unless I start going fishing 2-4 times a week, every week, there's no point in spending a ton of money right now.

I've read consumer, magazine and fishing blog reviews of the combo I posted the link on and other than a very few consumers who didn't like it or did something stupid with it, all were very positive. They all commented on the action of the rod, the ease of use of the reel, and their success with the combo.

I'll go back and research more combos but I do have to stay in budget. I'm also ignorant enough that some salesperson could talk me into something I don't need. That's why I'm asking questions.

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
That looks like a good starter type rod and reel. The length of the rod determines the play when casting. Longer rods generally give more of a flip to the bait. You have to remember that a one piece rod needs a long enough space to carry it in a vehicle.
If you are not used to a spinning reel I used to just tie a lead sinker on and practice casting in my back yard. It definitely helps.
You could check out Cabela's as well. They have some father's day sales going on.

·
13,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. I'm guessing I'm going to go with about a 6' rod. That's what I've got now, it fits in the CRV and I'm used to the length. You should have seen me with the spincaster when I first got it...lol I tied on a hook and weight and fished for foam cups in the backyard so I could practice reeling something in.

I've looked at Cabela's and found it to be more expensive. There's a Bass Pro an hour or so away, and the same with a Cabela's. The Bass Pro staff is nicer, more willing to help and overall friendlier than the Cabela's.

Besides, there's a bunch of other places near Bass Pro that I like to hit...like Lionel, where I get all my diecast cars from...lol

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Reactions: neophyte and timv

·
Registered
954 Posts
For bass you might want a med. or med. heavy rod depending on the weight of the lure you will be using. For pan fish and trout a light or med. light would be good. Rod length 6' or 6' 6'' would be good. The Pflueger President Spinning Fishing Reel is a very good reel in a 25X size.
Hope this helps.

https://www.fishusa.com/product/Pflueger-President-Spinning-Combo

·
Registered
11,038 Posts
the third one down will do what you want no problem.
it is a larger size outfit and you can put larger line on the reel.

not sure on your situation there, but for strictly Bass in/near any sort of cover 10-12 lb line would be easily warranted and 20 wouldn't be out of line in many cases.
the smaller reels will only hold like 30 yards of the larger line.
not enough.

a 6'6"-7'0" medium spine pole with a medium action tip, a 25 or 30 size reel spooled with 10-12 lb test line will catch a fish almost any where in North America..

I use the above with 6 lb line and 3 lb leader for bait fishing.
I have caught fish weighing nearly 20 lbs on that 3 lb leader.
for jig tossing and such I use a couple of different poles but use straight 6 lb line.
I have caught everything from crappie to carp.

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
Thanks Ron. Your explanation is a help. I don't feel so utterly clueless now. :)

Fly fishing...EEEEEkk!!! If you want some down feathers, let me know. My 2 Cockatoos shed them fairly often and I'll be happy to send them to you if you tie your own flies.
I could not fly fish to save my life. Somehow almost every time I successfully made a long cast (which wasn't often), I somehow put a knot in my leader. But what do I know. I was taught to fish with a Zebco 202 spincaster. Finally when I started bass fishing I saw all the pros used like baitcasters. But...I could never seem to cast THEM far either, and I always had to worry about birdnesting the line. I finally settled in with spinning reels. I can cast them the furthest and they give me like zero problems if I use braided line as monofiliment tends to get "memory" and can sometimes get all twisted while reeling it in. On the other hand, it's a little harder tying knots with braided. I have never tried fluorocarbon, so I can't say anything about it.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
35,868 Posts
When I was fishing regularly, I loved my old Zebco 303 classic spinners.
Never fly fished in my life. How those tiny reels work is beyond me.

·
13,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Trust me, fly fishing is something I have no interest in. Aside from being a complete klutz, standing in cold dang water all day would play Merry Hell with my Fibro and arthritis. I'm more than happy to let somebody else do that...lol

1 - 20 of 164 Posts