Gun and Game Forum banner

121 - 140 of 164 Posts

·
The outer edge of civilization
13,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
Went to the lake this morning and really didn't have a good time. It was cold, windy, and generally not too much fun. I tried a couple of different spots and about the only thing I caught was stuff on the bottom. The water level was really up and man oh man was it murky. Not just "stained" but loaded with silt. Considering all the rain we've had lately I'm not surprised.

I'm guessing the fellas at the fishing emporium were right...it's a week or so too early, despite the fact that I wasn't the only crazy person out there. There were kayakers and over a dozen boats on the water because nobody was catching anything.

Too add insult to injury, I popped my back out. As in it's in complete spasm and walking the 10 feet from the shore to the car was an adventure in pain. Now, I'm not sure just how I popped my back, but I suspect it has something to do with the way I cast. I seem to put my hip into it and twist my body sort of like I'm swinging a golf club. :(

Guess I need to spend some time in the backyard trying to fix that... sigh...

·
Registered
11,041 Posts
try more like throwing a ball just slower.

even on bad days the key is to learn something.
you might not catch a single fish, heck you might not even tie a hook on.
but you can use a sinker to probe the bottom and just feel your way along.
knowing where the logs, rocks, grass/weeds and general shape of the bottom allows you to pin point some of the spots you will want to target later.

·
13,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
That might work if I could throw a ball...lol

I'll give it a try in the backyard this week.

·
Registered
11,041 Posts
practice makes you a lot better.
I still cant cast real far nor real accurate left handed. [just good enough to work around a bush or log and get the bait into the water if needed]
but i can cast under hand, side-arm, and back handed, as well as just throw straight out for distance or do the big swing over head lob.

you'll get there.
it takes time to work over a lake and get a feel for where and when the fish are gonna work with you.
I have one lake near here I still haven't caught a single fish on after10 years of off and on trying.
[meanwhile my next door neighbor just kills them over there]
I got three others I know where and when to go after the bigger fish, or how to catch numbers of smaller ones.
he won't even try on two of them because he has as much luck as I do on his.

·
13,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Okay fellers... time for another silly question.

Other than just shoving the worm on the hook, what's the best way to do it? Is it the same general idea as doing a wacky worm? Should I put weight on the line?

What's the best hook shape to use? I've got completely straight, basic J shaped, ones with the eye bent over slightly toward the hook point and ones with the Z bend at the eye end.

·
Wonderment :)
32,606 Posts
ncnascarlady: Ma'am; circle hooks work great with bait
(most times circle hooks hook lips and doesn't hurt fish).
Thread worm evenly through the hook. Leaving a pinch dangling.
Will give some motion

Us growing up; before; used any hook any time and fish were caught
Modern technology has helped. Fewer are gut hooked
Those of us that practice catch and release Are happier

Weight? Are you bottom fishing ='s weight.
Cork fishing ='s some weight helping the cork stay upright
Mostly! Experiment. :)

·
Registered
250 Posts
For panfish, use a clear bubble type float and a popping fly(Betts) yellow or lime green 5 to 6 feet from float. Cast it and real in slow. slight jerks. You will catch many panfish this way. My wife uses that set up and gives me a run for my money as I fly fish. Not hitting top fly, tie on a black sinking fly.

·
13,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
Also, try an O’Shaunassy hook. Thread the worm through the shnoz all the way to the eye of the hook. Add a small split shot about 14” up the line.

Cast and let sit. Tie yourself to a tree ‘cause it’s about to get real!
I've got some of those. They're the basic J shape from the pictures I saw.

I've got split shot. Should I add a bobber, too?

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
35,869 Posts
I always used a basic J hook, through the worm once then back through again further up. One small splitshot, and the bobber adjusted for the depth, to keep the worm just off the bottom. I favor the telescoping Breambuster poles.

Reactions: neophyte

·
Registered
11,041 Posts
right now your fish are either on a bed, going to spawn or leaving their spawn area and looking for food.

your going to want to aggravate them into thinking your work is something trying to eat their eggs, or look like an easy meal they can gobble up and move on to something else.

a drop shot rig with the weight on the bottom and the worm up just a few inches [like 6-8] that you can jiggle and shake and stir up a little mud with the weight will work just fine on a regular J-hook, and some worm dangling off the end.
in a week or two find a little drop off [ledge or sloped weed flat to deeper water] and use the same set up just with the worm a bit higher [maybe 18"s] or wacky rigged in the middle of the worm and a lighter weight on the bottom so it falls slower.
it's a finesse thing and you have to work slowly but with some movement of the rod and reel.

more fun than just tossing out and sitting there but slow enough to spend some time in a limited area covering it thoroughly.

·
Premium Member
9,237 Posts
I've got some of those. They're the basic J shape from the pictures I saw.

I've got split shot. Should I add a bobber, too?
Depends on what flavor of fish you’re going after.

As a rule (with many exceptions), bass aren’t bobber friendly. Sunfish (perch, in your area) will snort a worm under a bobber in a heartbeat.

For cats, try fishing bottom or directly above. They’ll start moving up shallow this time of year.

·
Registered
11,041 Posts
the above works for catfish/walleye/panfish too.
I have even used the middle knot to add a leader and then added the hook out about a foot or so away.
I have used it everywhere from here in Idaho to Texas and even on the ocean.

the other one I use a lot is the Carolina rig letting the line slide through the weight and adding a floatant [or not] to the bait so it is above weeds or rocks or whatever.
it's more used as a bait and wait type set up though.

my third rig up is to tie the Jig or lure directly to the main line, and run it through/around cover the fish like to use.

if one of those three don't work I go home.

·
13,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
Right. Bass don't do bobbers. And since I plan on catching bass I can dump the bobbers back in my overflow kit.

Last time I went I had my hook and soft bait, then a split shot about 12 inches up. 2 bites, couldn't set the hook (lack of experience) but did get to practice letting the line out and reeling it in. At least until the fish got bored. One got my bait, the other spit it out and took off.

But I had fun playing with them:)

·
Premium Member
9,237 Posts
Ok, how’s about this voodoo, M’Lady-

Get a bag of Zoom Flukes in Arkansas shiner or white (pearl, if need be). Thread weightless on a 3/0 extra wide gap hook. Use that split shot rig. Cast, pull rod up to retrieve, reel down and repeat. Keep weight on bottom.

A hungry bass may find that hard to pass up.

·
13,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
The only bait restrictions in NC pertain to trout and I am not even vaguely ready to go out for the trout yet...lol

I've got some soft bait shiners I can try if the worms fail tomorrow.

121 - 140 of 164 Posts