Gun and Game Forum banner

141 - 160 of 164 Posts

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
35,869 Posts
Gotta admit, I nearly always fished for bream. Nothing better than a fat Bluegill or Shellcracker. :cool:

Reactions: neophyte and Jaison

·
The outer edge of civilization
13,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
I think right now I'd be thrilled to catch anything edible and legal as long as it's not a catfish. :D

·
Registered
11,041 Posts
I love fishing for crappie but we don't have them around here.
I once stopped in the middle of a walleye tournament to catch a bunch of crappie I found in the back of a bay.

you can use bobbers to catch Bass.
a lot of guys catch Bass using their crappie set up's right now.
there is also a technique called float and fly where you mimic fly fishing with streamers.

the key is to get the bait down in front of their face and aggravate them right now.

Reactions: neophyte

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
35,869 Posts
I loves me some catfish! Paired up with cheese grits - yummy! :)

·
13,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
Got a bunch of bites this morning but couldn't reel anything in. I'm beginning to think I need to get out earlier in the morning.

It was breezy as well so I kind of wonder if I should have stayed home. But at least I fed a few of them.

·
Registered
10,893 Posts
With Live Worms...I'd spike 'em sideways every 2 inches...
that way they wiggle in a more compact way,
so instead of nibblers stealing your bait, you get a hard & fast BITE!

Or Nose, middle, tail...if that helps...
multiple poles mean you can do multiple worm hookups
so you can try one of everything...when you see
what works, hook 'em all the same way!

·
Registered
10,893 Posts
Got a bunch of bites this morning but couldn't reel anything in. I'm beginning to think I need to get out earlier in the morning.

It was breezy as well so I kind of wonder if I should have stayed home. But at least I fed a few of them.
Go find an OLD 1970's/1980's Boy Scout Guidebook.
Think mine was a 1979 or so...anyway, best fishing
information I've EVER found was in that book.
It had it ALL. And in every situation I brought the book,
looked up the type of area being fished, & followed what it said,
brought home a 5-gallon bucket of fish within a few hours.

But my Grandfather would always catch ONE fish...
and it'd be the biggest one of the day :)

Altho there was my double bass catch...cast out well past a branch sticking up out of the water, with a red & white spoon with two treble hooks, it quickly went BIP BIP in a little Z, then all the sudden the water is BOILING over where my lure was...just reeled it on in, grabbed the net, and snagged the whole shebang in one scoop! Turned out to be two 5-pound largemouth bass, one on each treble hook!! Uncle Jerry almost lost his mind watching that one! He's 80-something now and tells about that catch everytime he talks fishing! That was the first Pickle Bucket day...filled it up and fed the whole clan fried bass that afternoon!

Gals are better at following directions than guys, so if you grab that book & follow it, chances are you'll whoop 'em all in short order ;)

·
Premium Member
9,237 Posts
If you're getting bites but no strikes, the chances are you got munchkins munching on the wormy morsels. A small hook with a bit of worm or bread should prove that out. Plus, a few dozen small bluegills and you're getting into fish nugget territory.

·
13,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
I'll try it again on Monday or Tuesday when I head out again. I'd go over the weekend but not with the storm chances.

·
13,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
With Live Worms...I'd spike 'em sideways every 2 inches...
that way they wiggle in a more compact way,
so instead of nibblers stealing your bait, you get a hard & fast BITE!

Or Nose, middle, tail...if that helps...
multiple poles mean you can do multiple worm hookups
so you can try one of everything...when you see
what works, hook 'em all the same way!
I set them up that way after I got over a moment of squeamishness. Then it was simply a matter of getting the fool worms to stop squirming. And before you ask, yep, I argued with each and every one of 'em about stopping squirming and getting on the flipping hook :D

·
13,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
Yep...reviving the thread... 😁

At 2:00 this morning while I was trying to fall asleep, a random thought popped into my head...Can fish actually smell bait?

I've seen the jars of smelly pellets and I know people use chicken livers. Would small pieces of Vienna sausage work? Or should I stick to digging worms out of my compost?

·
Premium Member
9,237 Posts
Yes, ma'am.

Their sense of smell may be different than humans, but they use that sense (among other senses) to locate and identify food.

Vienna sausage is good for bait, as are worms, depending upon the species.

141 - 160 of 164 Posts