Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
GOT A late 70's fixed sight 92S (not an fs)FOR A RANGE TOY. As you probably know the sights are rather diminutive.
Don't care bought' ruining the "value" of the gun as a collectors piece, as it is a pieced together rebuilt import.:cool: It is extremely accurate. It was built right and tight, as they say.Never plan on selling it.
The slides on those are too thin on top to dovetail, or to comfortably drill and tap.
I am really good at silver soldering, and have done a lot of rifle sights onto shotgun barrels,years ago that way. Back when you could get sweat on sights.
I was thinking that I could file down the rear sight. Then make a contour a piece of steel picatinny rail. Then 3% low temp silver solder it in place,just like I used to do rifle sights. After which I could put a mini red dot or holographic sight on it or what ever. Another option I was considering was modifying, fitting, then silver soldering a set of steel sights directly to the slide.
Any thoughts on this.

·
Registered
7,288 Posts
If it's been a while since you "silver soldered" practice a bit first, make sure your flux is still good, and have fun. Since you already know how to solder, not much a person could tell you that you don't already know.

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it's been a while since you "silver soldered" practice a bit first, make sure your flux is still good, and have fun. Since you already know how to solder, not much a person could tell you that you don't already know.
The hard part of the whole thing for me would be finding a good steel mount or sight that I could fit to the gun. Then fitting it properly, so as to not interfere with the decocker, or the retaining pin in thre top of the slide.Most everything is aluminum, alloy or plastic any more.Looked on Brownells and they do not have any sweat on mounts any more.They have very few sweat on sights.Most are old, bulky rifle sights. Its going to be a challenge to make something that looks right, and don't stick up like a stink bug.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts