close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Since it's so quiet...

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Steve Redgwell, Jun 21, 2002.

1. Steve Redgwell

Steve Redgwell G&G Newbie

I'll try this. Does anyone here make their own bullets? I don't mean reloading, but the bullets themselves.
    I've been making jacketed rifle bullets for 1 1/2 years and will be selling them to gun shops in the near future. I finished my 165/180 gr .308 prototypes a while back and will be making a .312 bullet too.
    Most people don't do this, but I thought it might make for interesting conversation. Anyone?

Safe Shooting! :nod:
    Steve Redgwell
    303british.com

2. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

I used to as a boy with my Dad..we would melt tire weights and pour the molten lead into a two bullet mold.

3. Making FMJ

Do you use spent .22LR cases for the jacketing metal? I have heard of this process, but never known anyone to do it.

4. Steve Redgwell

No, I don't use the rimfire cases, but have considered ordering a kit to try. They're available from Corbin's I think. I haven't played with the rimfire jacket maker myself, but it looks easy enough. They're good varmint bullets I'm told. You can either make the cores yourself or order them pre made from Starke.
    The .308 bullet jackets are made for me. I just gave the place my specs and they produce them. It's a local business not too far from where I live. They're a ,030 thick jacket, tapered to .018 inches. I make the cores and have been bonding them.
    I wanted a bullet with a thinner jacket that was found with most of the bonded bullets. They seem to be made for African critters. The difficulty I had with them is that the jacket is made of copper and is so thick that they are longer than std bullets. No problem if you shoot a Weatherby or something with a long throat, but the coppers and copper bonded bullets often have to be seated deeper in the case and that takes up too much powder room for my liking. People have also commented on copper fouling too.

Steve Redgwell
    303british.com

5. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

I assume you swage the bullets, rather than cast.

6. I am not familiar with the process, but am told that 22 brass can be used to jacket 223.

7. Steve Redgwell

Yes Klaus, I swage. It's something that came out of reloading for years and not being able to get exactly what I wanted.
    Alan, if you're interested, you can look on line at the corbin site for most of their stuff. http://www.corbins.com Depending on which rimfire brass you use, you can make 22 or 6mm jackets. I had considered doing that for my 222.

Steve Redgwell
    303british.com

8. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

Triton Quik Shoks (Tom Burczinski, creator of the Hydra Shok latest bullet design) are swaged. I suspect Aguila's new defense ammunition (which sounds like a Quik Shok knock off) are swaged also.

9. Steve Redgwell

Most of the commercial jacketed bullets are swaged. I guess it's easy to do when you've got big machines pumping out 1,000s. Or should that be millions? :p

Steve Redgwell
    303british.com