since you guyus know everything about refinishing...

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by F1609, May 7, 2008.

1. F1609

F1609 Guest

...what should i do with my yugo sks? :) Dawn Power Dissolver it? then refinish w/? put finishi oil on it?

2. Depends on do you want a blonde brunette or redhead?

3. F1609

F1609 Guest

looking at going for a red head, mahogany looks nice.

4. I did two of my Mosins in a Minwax Red Mahogany 226 then topped it with a high gloss urathane. Looked rather nice, but I would recomend sticking with a semi gloss. The high gloss was a little too shiney for my taste. As for the prepping I just sanded them down real well then cleaned them in alcohol a few time to get the wood grain to open up and it took real well and smooth. If anything it may have been a little too dark for others, but liker it. In fact, my M-44 is still done up like that. My other one sanded it all off becuase I decided that the 91/30 just looked a little better in it's natural look. I'll post some pictures of the M-44 tomorrow to give you an idea of what it may turn out like. Other guys here will surely have some ideas for you too. Good luck!

5. If you sand you lose any marks on the stock. If you use DawnPD or Easyoff Oven Cleaner you wont.
    Minwax Mahogany then with Urathane if you like it shiney, or BLO or Tung Oil.
    Read the Brown = Red in the mosin thread. I think thats it.

6. Paper

Paper I can justify anything. Forum Contributor

Sounds like the perfect stock for a super hot dishwasher treatment, to me..

Let it dry, sand lightly, and start bringing it back to whatever finish you'd like.

7. Man Cap. I wish I wish I would have knowing about the Easy Off back before I sanded my stock! I did loose some of my marks too! Tried to keep them, but oh well, still looks good to me. Guess now I know for future projects! lol

8. I don't . . .

. . . know everything about refinishing but I have always found removal of a bad finish down to bare wood then treating/fine steel wood rubdown then a number repeats with boilded linseed oil is a fine way both to display and protect wood.

9. As with all of my stock refinishes, including the SKS, I use Dawn Power Desolver as it not only removes the finish but any cosmolene that may be hiding in the stock. I chose Pecan stain for the Yugo as it seemed more appropriate, but Red Mahogany would probably look nice as well. Wear gloves as PDP may smell nice but it plays havoc with skin. I just use Nitrile disposables (the purple kind).

The key is letting the stock dry for a couple of days, Light but thourough sanding, and don't rush the process.

Be sure to post pics when completed.:)

Last edited: May 8, 2008
  10. marion57

marion57 G&G Newbie

I just used a good paint and varnish remover on my SKS and then steel wooled it then finished it with 4 coats of BLO then a coat of tru oil over the BLO

11. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

12. Mike82

Mike82 G&G Newbie

this is Mosin-Nagant, NOT SKS forum, so GTFOUT.....hehe, jkjk.....on another note, do like me and take an excellent condition laminated stock(i dont like laminated) and use laquer thinner(or some acidic compound) remove it to original wood and go with a dark cherry/mahogany stain.

Ps. No i didnt really do that, but i'd love to see marion's face if i did :silly:

13. SwedeSteve

Mike- Stop the coffee, now! I was reading your post and almost $hit a brick until I got to the end! LMFFAO!

14. Everybody has a differnt way of cleaning, cleaning corrosive, refinishing the funiture and refinishing the metal.

15. SwedeSteve

Cap'n- You should check out Chestnut Ridge...

16. F1609

F1609 Guest

here it is before I stripper it, got the DawnPD last night and did it, along with my Spartan SPR310, original finish already coming off, only had it for two years.....well it did hit the field a lot and the clay pidgeons......

p.s. the 30rnd detachable gives me no problem at all, as long as i pull it towards me while shooting.

[​IMG]

17. SwedeSteve

18. F1609

F1609 Guest

it is, has very few nicks and scratches in it. But the stock is a lot darker than it is in the picture, it was heavily coated in cosmo when i bought it, pretty much everything is removed now. Just the stock was heavy in cosmo and i could always feel it while shooting, decided it was time to get it all out. Rifle is ALL matching. Stock is stamped to match rifle as well.

19. Really good Idea MS. I see a lot of people who want to refinish asking ?. So now everyone can refer them to that. Dang you is smarts.